- "You know, chi is the breath of life. It is what powers the Iron Fist."
- ― Davos (Marvel Cinematic Universe)
- "Strength of body, when combined with strength of mind and spirit, can move mountains. Alone however, the body shatters against rock like a brittle twig."
- ― Chikara-Shisho (Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 2003) explaining to the Ninja Turtles of chi's effect on the body
The power to manipulate the flow of latent energy that is present in the physical body. Variation of Energy Manipulation and Life-Force Manipulation. Semiphysical counterpart of Bio-Energy Manipulation and physical one to Aura Manipulation.
- Gi/Ki/Qi Control/Manipulation
- Material/Physical Life-Force Manipulation
- Chigong/Qi/Qigong (Chinese)
- Ki/Kikou/Kikoujutsu (Japanese)
- Khí (Vietnamese)
- Senjutsu (Highschool DxD)
- Tao (Hell’s Paradise: Jigokuraku)
- Tōki (Fist of the Blue Sky/Fist of the North Star)
- Haku (InuYasha/Yashahime: Princess Half-Demon)
The user can create, shape, and manipulate chi, a life-force energy that exists in all beings. By learning to harness this inner latent energy, they can gain superhuman capabilities and use them in cases of extreme combat. Some examples include physically manifesting all of their inner strength and unleashing it through sheer force of will.
The control of one’s chi can allow for extraordinary abilities, strength, speed, stamina, durability, and reflexes, or in some cases enabling the use of energy blasts, elemental manipulation, hyper-awareness, and sometimes invulnerability.
- Balance: The user can find balance with their chi, allowing for proper control.
- Breathing Empowerment: The oxygen of all living creatures breathe to sustain life is considered the essential source of chi after food and water. Through precise and refined breathing, one can strengthen their body by constantly inhaled air-based chi and even sustain themselves without food and water.
- Capacitor: The user can store chi aka dantian.
- Channeling: The user can utilize their chi towards a great potential to use their chi for any kind of possibilities, causing change in a way that conforms with their will.
- Effect Generation: The user can cause various effects similar to casting a spell, using their chi.
- Chi Absorption: Absorb chi from one's surroundings and objects to use in some capacity.
- Chi Augmentation: Use one's chi in order to increase their physical aspects.
- Chi Concealment: Hide one's chi.
- Chi Detection: User can use their chi to sense others.
- Chi Flight: Use chi for flight.
- Chi Generation: Generate chi.
- Chi Projection: Emit chi outside of one's body.
- Chi Attacks: Utilize one's chi for powerful offensive attacks. The user can release/use chi attacks of various shapes and/or intensities either projected or be used as a part melee attacks. etc.
- Chi Aura: Able to surround oneself in chi energy.
- Energetic Pressure: Concentrate a large amount of chi, capable of causing damage to one's surroundings.
- Chi Constructs: The user can form their chi into powerful energy constructs.
- Enhanced/Supernatural Roar (Kiai): One can channel their chi to unleash a destructive battle cry.
- Chi Healing: The user can repair the damage that has been done to the body whether it be internal or external.
- Chi Infusion: Infuse chi into objects, beings or powers empowering and energizing them and allowing the user to manipulate their qualities and efficiency, allowing them to use chi in various ways.
- Chi Invisibility; User can be invisible by using chi.
- Chi Mixture: Mix one's chi with the chi of others.
- Chi Regeneration: The user can repair damage dealt to their body automatically.
- Control Negation: The user can break themselves, and others free of control effects.
- Elemental Manipulation: The user can manifest and use their chi into various elemental forces. The power of one's chi also grants the elements they wield a bludgeoning effect.
- Indomitable Will: The full power of chi can be unleashed through sheer force of will.
- Internal Rupturing: Emit chi into a person or object to damage them from the inside out.
- Invisible Energy Manipulation: Utilize chi to exert invisible energy from the physical body.
- Nature Unity: The user of chi can become one with nature.
- Battlefield Adaptation: The user can orientate their entire body to combat, allowing them to fight in any environment.
- Nature Empowerment: Chi users can absorb nature-based chi to empower their own life energy and body.
- Unity: User becomes one with everything as there is the presence of chi everywhere and in everything.
- Personal/Body Meridian Manipulation: The user can manipulate the meridian system (of oneself or others) the bodily network through which life energy flows, by connecting with their various nodes to affect their body's physiological energy flow and functionality.
- Personal Mastery: Complete mastery of chi grants one absolute control over oneself and everything related to themselves.
- Raw Power: Rarely some can have a great amount of power so great to a grand scale.
- Refining/Power Refining: Refine body/chi.
- Spiritual Meditation: Meditate to obtain absolute focus in order to fully manifest one's chi.
- Yin & Yang Manipulation: Advanced users can bring a balance between both diversifications of chi as well as utilize it's unification and separations.
- Ambition Manipulation: Chi is also fueled by one's fighting spirit and the act of not doubting.
- Domination: Using the force of one's chi, users of chi can cause their will to take effect. This could be permanent or temporary depending on users level of mastery.
- Intimidation: Bring even lower the will and fighting spirit of one's weak willed opponent(s).
- Submission: Submit any weak willed under one's powerful will, be the man, monster, or a savage beast.
- Astral Projection: Through intense concentration, the user can project the inner consciousness of themselves or others out of their bodies.
- Chi Combat: The user can augment their fighting style with chi.
- Chi Conversion: The user can convert their chi into other forms of matter.
- Chi Empowerment: The user is empowered by exposure to chi.
- Chi Enhanced Physiology: The user has all there physical capabilities completely augmented in all aspects.
- Chi Mastery:The user has complete control over their chi and any abilities connected to it.
- Chi Psionics: Using chi as a medium to mimic/replicate the effects of various forms of psychic/mental abilities or powers.
- Chi Portal Creation: The user can create portals using one's chi.
- Chi Shapeshifting: Using chi to alter ones appearance at will.
- Chi Transformation: Transform into a higher state via one's chi.
- Feng Shui Manipulation: Most chi practitioners can attain harmony with everyone through their environments.
- Internal Bodily Cleansing: Cleanse any impurities in body.
- Life-Force Inhibition: Inhibit the flow of chi in one's body and others.
- Chi Arts: The user is a master of martial arts that are empowered by chi.
- Chi Magic: Using chi to perform miracles.
- Dark Chi Manipulation: Chi can be tainted by dark forces.
- Powers via Chi: To have powers linked to one's chi.
- Pure Chi Manipulation: One's chi can be purified against evil influences to better fight against them.
- Transcendent Chi Manipulation: The user may attain a godlike form of chi.
- Aura Manipulation: Follows similar concept but is purely spiritual.
- Bio-Electricity Manipulation: Can be seen as the ´´real-life´´ version of chi given how similar they function.
- Draconic Energy Manipulation: In certain cases of fiction, the chi of the dragon is regarded as incredible powerful, if not the most powerful.
- Genetic Traits: One's chi can be affected by their genetic code, allowing their chi to become unique and possibly more powerful in some way.
- Enhanced Power Level: Few members of one's species have more in power level in their chi than most.
- Training Regimen: As one trains and develops their body, their chi will also become strong.
- Transformation: In some case within fictional media, chi can induce a transformation. Likewise, transformations can affect one's chi. Given that chi is dependent on the user's physical body, turning into a different form can result in various changes.
- Dark/Demon Form: Should the user's body become warped by dark or demonic powers, their chi will become dark and twisted, able to cause great destruction, but at the cost of the user's force of will.
- Empowered State: When channeled throughout the body, chi grants the user an enhanced state that increase their abilities with little to no change to their appearance.
- Super Form: A super form greatly increases the reserves and potency of one's chi, as well as enhance their abilities
- Hyper Form: A hyper from increases the reserves and potency of one's chi exponentially beyond Super Form, but leaves them at risk of burning out their power too quickly.
- Anti-Energy Manipulation
- Takes time to build up chi depending on the amount.
- Chi is often finite and can be used up quickly.
- May require training to control the chi within them.
- Excessive use of chi will lead to fatigue and also death.
- Distance, mass, precision, etc. depend upon the knowledge, skill, and strength of the user, and their power's natural limits.
- Vulnerable to corruption, resulting in dark chi.
- If one's body is not physically prepared, then the chi could be sent into flux.
- User may need to be a practitioner of martial arts.
- Life-Force Inhibition is the perfect counter.
- The concept of Chi originated in ancient China.
- Chi can be seen as a the counterpart of Aura (Chi is seen as material meanwhile Aura as mental or directly spiritual).
See Also: Ki Manipulation.
- Kong Kenan/Super-Man (DC Comics)
- Various Metahumans (DC Comics)
- Salvador Joel Alonday/Grail (Wildstorm Universe)
- Immortal Weapons (Marvel Comics)
- Victor Alvarez/Power Man (Marvel Comics)
- Temujin (Marvel Comics)
- Shang-Chi (Marvel Comics)
- The Mandarin (Marvel Comics)
- Peter Parker/Spider-Man (Marvel Comics)
- Ninja Turtles (Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles); via Chi/Qigong.
- Wallace Wells (Scott Pilgrim)
- Dairangers (Gosei Sentai Dairanger)
- Jack Brewer (Kickin' It)
- Tommy Oliver (Power Rangers)
- Jon Talbain (Darkstalkers)
- Jin (Grand Chase)
- Shiori Kujou (Kajiri Kamui Kagura)
- X (Mega Man X series)
- Users of Ninpo (Ninja Gaiden series)
- Travis Touchdown (No More Heroes)
- Lo Wang (Shadow Warrior)
- Sensei Skylanders (Skylanders)
- Users of Chi (SNK)
- Users of Ki (Street Fighter)
- Various Fighters (Tekken Series)
- Hong Meiling (Touhou Project)
- Robloxians (ROBLOX); via R-Orb
To learn more about how the concept of chi is used in fictional universes and real life, visit the following websites.
- Chi in Kung Fu Panda
- Chi in the world of Avatar
- Dantian, the centers chi
- Ki in Dragon Ball
- Ki and Senjutsu in Street Fighter
- Tōki in Fist of the North Star
- Chi in Jackie Chan Adventures
- Ki, Sei, Dou, Dual Ki, and Seidou Gouitsu of Kenichi: The Mightiest Disciple
- Ki in Tenjou Tenge
- Chi/Qi in Samurai Jack
- Senjutsu in Highschool DxD
- Chi in the Marvel Multiverse