- "You know, chi is the breath of life. It is what powers the Iron Fist."
- ― Davos (Marvel Cinematic Universe)
- "Strength of body, when combined with strength of mind and spirit, can move mountains. Alone however, the body shatters against rock like a brittle twig."
- ― Chikara-Shisho (Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 2003) explaining to the Ninja Turtles of chi's effect on the body
The power to manipulate the flow of latent energy that is present in the physical body as well as all around us. Variation of Energy Manipulation. Physical variation of Life-Force Manipulation. Quasi-phsycial counterpart of Bio-Energy Manipulation.
- 1 Also Called
- 2 Capabilities
- 3 Applications
- 4 Techniques
- 5 Variations
- 6 Associations
- 7 Limitations
- 8 Trivia
- 9 Known Users
- 10 References
- 11 Gallery
- Gi/Ki/Qi Control/Manipulation
- Material/Physical Life-Force Manipulation
- Chigong/Qi/Qigong (Chinese)
- Ki/Kikou/Kikoujutsu (Japanese)
- Senjutsu (Highschool DxD)
- Tao (Hell’s Paradise: Jigokuraku)
- Tōki (Fist of the Blue Sky/Fist of the North Star)
The user can create, shape, and manipulate chi, a form of Life-force which exists in everything and anything. By learning to harness this inner latent energy, they can gain superhuman capabilities and use them in cases of extreme combat. Some examples include physically manifesting all of their inner strength and unleashing it through sheer force of will.
The control of one’s chi can allow for extraordinary abilities, strength, speed, stamina, durability, and reflexes, or in some cases enabling the use of energy blasts, elemental manipulation, hyper-awareness, and sometimes invulnerability.
In different cases, the user can produce chi by channeling the energy through the physical body or from the surrounding environment and by using the natural power of the planet or cosmos.
- Balance: The user can find balance with their chi, allowing for proper control.
- Breathing Empowerment: The oxygen of all living creatures breathe to sustain life is considered the essential source of chi after food and water. Through precise and refined breathing, one can strengthen their body by constantly inhaled air-based chi and even sustain themselves without food and water.
- Channeling: The user can utilize their chi towards a great potential to use their chi for any kind of possibilities.
- Chi Absorption: Absorb chi from one's surroundings and objects to use in some capacity.
- Chi Augmentation: Use one's chi in order to increase their physical aspects.
- Bodily Attribute Augmentation: Channel one's chi within in order to push certain attributes to superhuman levels.
- Combat Empowerment: The more the user fights, the stronger their bodies grow, thus strengthening their chi.
- Optimal Finesse: The user can use their chi to enhance their finesse to the highest potential.
- Chi Combat: Combine chi control with physical combat skill.
- Chi Concealment: Hide one's chi.
- Chi Detection: User can use their chi to sense others.
- Chi Flight: Use chi for flight.
- Chi Generation: Generate chi.
- Chi Projection: Emit chi outside of one's body.
- Chi Aura: Able to surround oneself in chi energy.
- Energetic Pressure: Concentrate a large amount of chi, capable of causing damage to one's surroundings.
- Chi Constructs: The user can form their chi into powerful energy constructs.
- Chi Attacks: Utilize one's chi for powerful offensive attacks. The user can release/use chi attacks of various shapes and/or intensities either projected or be used as a part melee attacks. etc.
- Enhanced/Supernatural Roar (Kiai): One can channel their chi to unleash a destructive battle cry.
- Chi Aura: Able to surround oneself in chi energy.
- Chi Healing: The user can repair the damage that has been done to the body whether it be internal or external.
- Chi Infusion: Infuse chi into objects, beings or powers empowering and energizing them and allowing the user to manipulate their qualities and efficiency, allowing them to use chi in various ways.
- Chi Invisibility; User can be invisible by using chi.
- Chi Regeneration: The user can repair damage dealt to their body automatically.
- Control Negation: The user can break themselves, and others free of control effects.
- Elemental Energy Manipulation: The user can manifest and use their chi into various elemental energy forces. The power of one's chi also grants the elements they wield a bludgeoning effect.
- Higher Consciousness: Being linked to one's consciousness, chi is able to allow one to be in their true mind.
- Indomitable Will: The full power of chi can be unleashed through sheer force of will.
- Internal Rupturing: Emit chi into a person or object to damage them from the inside out
- Invisible Energy Manipulation: Utilize chi to exert invisible energy from the physical body.
- Nature Unity: The user of chi can become one with nature.
- Battlefield Adaptation: The user can orientate their entire body to combat, allowing them to fight in any environment.
- Nature Empowerment: Chi users can absorb nature-based chi to empower their own life energy and body.
- Unity: User becomes one with everything as there is the presence of chi everywhere and in everything.
- Object Manipulation: Chi users can utilize this due to presence of chi in inanimate objects
- Personal/Body Meridian Manipulation: The user can manipulate the meridian system (of oneself or others) the bodily network through which life energy flows, by connecting with their various nodes to affect their body's physiological energy flow and functionality.
- Personal Mastery: Complete mastery of chi grants one absolute control over oneself and everything related to themselves.
- Power Refining: Refine chi.
- Power Mixture: Mix one's chi with the chi of others (Ex: Omi (Xiaolin Showdown) using the Sun Chi Lantern in order to mix his chi with the other Xiaolin Dragons.)
- Synchronization: Once the user mixes their chi with the chi of others, they are able to become in sync with the energy, allowing them to achieve extraordinary power and acquire new abilities.
- Sealing: User can utilize this through the use of chi
- Spiritual Meditation: Meditate to obtain absolute focus in order to fully manifest one's chi.
- Yin & Yang Manipulation: Advanced users can bring a balance between both diversifications of chi as well as utilize it's unification and separations.
- Ambition Manipulation: Chi is also fueled by one's fighting spirit and the act of not doubting.
- Domination: Using the force of one's chi, users of chi can cause their will to take effect. This could be permanent or temporary depending on users level of mastery.
- Intimidation: Bring even lower the will and fighting spirit of one's weak willed opponent(s).
- Submission: Submit any weak willed under one's powerful will, be the man, monster, or a savage beast.
- Astral Manipulation: Tap into the eternal energy forces of the astral plane and become a physical representation of one's inner power.
- Avatar Creation:Use one's chi to create a personal avatar to represent one's true nature and power.
- Chi Empowerment: The user is empowered by exposure to chi.
- Chi Enhanced Physiology: The user has all there physical capabilities completely augmented in all aspects.
- Chi Psionics: Using chi as a medium to mimic/replicate the effects of various forms of psychic/mental abilities or powers.
- Feng Shui Manipulation: Most chi practitioners can attain harmony with everyone through their environments.
- Life-Force Inhibition: Inhibit the flow of chi in one's body and others.
- Power Negation: Cancel out the power of others and their effects by use of chi.
- Raw Power: Rarely some can have a great amount of power so great to a grand scale.
- Chi Magic: Have access to magic via chi
- Dark Chi Manipulation: Chi can be tainted by dark forces.
- Pure Chi Manipulation: One's chi can be purified against evil influences to better fight against them.
- Transcendent Chi Manipulation: The user may attain a godlike form of chi.
- Aura Manipulation: Follows similar concept.
- Bio-Electricity Manipulation: Can be seen as the ´´real-life´´ version of chi given how similar they function.
- Breathing Empowerment: The air all living creatures breathe to sustain life is considered the most important sources of chi after food and water. Through precise and refined breath control, one can strengthen their body by constantly inhaled air based chi and even sustain themselves without food and water.
- Genetic Traits: One's chi can be affected by their genetic code, allowing their chi to become unique and possibly more powerful in some way.
- Enhanced Power Level: Few members of one's species have more in power level in their chi than most.
- Training Regimen: As one trains and develops their body, their chi will also become strong.
- Transformation: In some case within fictional media, transformations are able to affect one's chi. Given that chi is dependent on the user's physical body, turning into a different form can result in various changes to it.
- Dark/Demon Form: Should the user's body become warped by dark or demonic powers, their chi will become dark and twisted, able to cause great destruction, but at the cost of the user's force of will.
- Empowered State: When channeled throughout the body, chi grants the user an enhanced state that increase their abilities with little to no change to their appearance.
- Super Form: A super form greatly increases the reserves and potency of one's chi, as well as enhance their abilities
- Hyper Form: A hyper from increases the reserves and potency of one's chi exponentially beyond Super Form, but leaves them at risk of burning out their power too quickly.
- Takes time to build up chi depending on the amount.
- Chi is often finite and can be used up quickly.
- May require training to control the chi within them.
- Excessive use of chi will also create fatigue.
- Distance, mass, precision, etc. depend upon the knowledge, skill, and strength of the user, and their power's natural limits.
- Vulnerable to corruption, resulting in dark chi.
- If one's body is not physically prepared, then the chi could be sent into flux.
- User may need to be a practitioner of martial arts.
- Life-Force Inhibition is the perfect counter.
- The concept of Chi originated in antice China.
- Chi can be seen as a the counterpart of Aura (Chi is seen as material meanwhile Aura as mental or directly spiritual).
See Also: Ki Manipulation.
- Kong Kenan/Super-Man (DC Comics)
- Various Metahumans (DC Comics)
- Various Mutants (Marvel Comics)
- Immortal Weapons (Marvel Comics)
- Victor Alvarez/Power Man (Marvel Comics)
- Temujin (Marvel Comics)
- Shang-Chi (Marvel Comics)
- The Mandarin (Marvel Comics)
- Peter Parker/Spider-Man (Marvel Comics)
- Ninja Turtles (Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles); via Chi/Qigong.
- Wallace Wells (Scott Pilgrim)
- Dairangers (Gosei Sentai Dairanger)
- Jack Brewer (Kickin' It)
- Jon Talbain (Darkstalkers)
- Jin (Grand Chase)
- Shiori Kujou (Kajiri Kamui Kagura)
- X (Mega Man X series)
- Users of Ninpo (Ninja Gaiden series)
- Travis Touchdown (No More Heroes)
- Lo Wang (Shadow Warrior)
- Sensei Skylanders (Skylanders)
- Users of Chi (SNK)
- Users of Ki (Street Fighter)
- Various Fighters (Tekken Series)
- Hong Meiling (Touhou Project)
- Robloxians (ROBLOX); via R-Orb
To learn more about how the concept of chi is used in fictional universes and real life, visit the following websites.
- Chi in Kung Fu Panda
- Chi in the World of Avatar
- Dantian, the centers chi
- Ki in Dragon Ball
- Ki and Senjutsu in Street Fighter
- Tōki in Fist of the North Star
- Chi in Jackie Chan Adventures
- Ki, Sei, Dou, Dual Ki, and Seidou Gouitsu of Kenichi: The Mightiest Disciple
- Ki in Tenjou Tenge
- Chi/Qi in Samurai Jack
- Senjutsu in Highschool DxD