- "Oh, Now don't go making that face. I did get my power stolen, really I did. But the power I lost I cannot make yours. My power is Black."
- ― Ichibē Hyōsube (Bleach)
- "I have seen the night torn into thin darkling strips and woven into shapes too bleak for dreams."
- ― Crovax (Strands of Night, Magic: The Gathering)
- "The shadows betray you, because they already belong to me!"
- ― Bane (The Dark Knight Rises)
- "It shall begin soon... Darkness will pour forth from the doors of hell... a darkness to swallow all the world's light."
- ― Mard Geer Tartaros (Fairy Tail)
- "What's the matter!? Afraid of the dark!?"
- ― Raven (Teen Titans)
- "Darkness is a friend, an ally. Darkness allows us to understand others, to see what they value when they believe no one else is looking. It allows us to be honest with ourselves, to express those values that we would disavow in the light. The light blinds us. It is only in the dark that we see clearly, and there is a great dark hidden among these worlds"
- ― Darth Revan (Star Wars)
- 1 Also Called
- 2 Capabilities
- 3 Applications
- 4 Techniques
- 5 Variations
- 6 Associations
- 7 Limitations
- 8 Known Users
- 8.1 Darkness
- 8.2 Anime/Manga/Manhwa
- 8.3 Comics/Cartoons
- 8.4 Literature
- 8.5 Folklore/Mythology
- 8.6 Video Games
- 8.7 Web Original
- 8.8 Shadow
- 8.9 Anime/Manga/Manhwa
- 8.10 Cartoons/Comics
- 8.11 Movies
- 8.12 Literature
- 8.13 Live Television
- 8.14 Video Games
- 8.15 Tabletop
- 8.16 Web Original
- 8.17 Both
- 8.18 Anime/Manga/Manhwa
- 8.19 Comics/Cartoons
- 8.20 Movies
- 8.21 Folklore/Mythology
- 8.22 Literature
- 8.23 Live Television
- 8.24 Video Games
- 8.25 Web Original
- 9 Known Objects
- 10 Known Powers/Techniques
- 11 Gallery
- Blackness Control/Manipulation
- Dark/Darkness/Shadow Arts
- Darkness/Shadow Element Control
- Dark Manipulation/Control
- Darkness Control/Spreading
- Shadow Bending/Control/Manipulation
- Shadow Matter Manipulation
- Darkus (Bakugan)
Users can create, shape and manipulate darkness and shadows. By itself, darkness is mostly used to cloud everything into total darkness, but by accessing a dimension of dark energy it can be channeled to a variety of effects, both as an absence of light and a solid substance: one can also control and manipulate the beings that exist there, create and dispel shields and areas of total darkness, create constructs and weapons, teleport one's self through massive distances via shadows, etc.
Note: Darkness Manipulation is essentially the same as Shadow Manipulation, in the sense that all of its applications would be identical. Hence why both powers are merged into one.
- Animated Shadow
- Create/generate darkness/shadow.
- Darkness Adaptation
- Darkness Attacks
- Darkness Solidification
- Manipulate the properties of darkness/shadows.
- Shadow Absorption
- Shadow Erasure
- Shadow Interaction
- Dark Portal Creation/Umbrageous Teleportation using darkness/shadow by understanding the fundamental connection all shadows/darkness share.
- Darkness Aura
- Darkness Defense
- Darkness Empowerment
- Darkness Healing
- Darkness Mimicry
- Darkness Transmutation
- Shadow Conversion
- Shadow Mutilation
- Shadow Reanimation
- Shadow Stealth
- Shadow Swimming
- Umbrakinetic Combat
- Umbrakinetic Regeneration
- Dark Energy Manipulation
- Dark World Manipulation
- Darkness Embodiment
- Death Darkness Manipulation
- Diabolic Darkness Manipulation
- Conceptual Darkness Manipulation
- Esoteric Darkness Manipulation
- Grim Darkness Manipulation
- Individual Shadow Manipulation
- Life Darkness Manipulation
- Primordial Darkness Manipulation
- Psychic Darkness Manipulation
- Pure Darkness Manipulation
- Sacred Darkness Manipulation
- Spiritual Darkness Manipulation
- Shadow Magic
- Absent Energy Manipulation
- Black Element Manipulation by manipulating darkness in elemental forms.
- Black Hole Manipulation by manipulating darkness in a way in gains the power of a Black Hole.
- Cosmic Space Manipulation
- Dark Element Manipulation by tapping into the dark aspect of the elements.
- Dark Form
- Darkness Embodiment
- Darkness Weaponry
- Darkside View by manipulating the dark corners of one's mind and soul.
- Mental Manipulation by learning to control dark corners of mind and soul.
- Death-Force Manipulation death is often associated with darkness.
- Death Shadow
- Fear Inducement - Fear is often associated with darkness.
- Freezing as darkness is absence of light, so cold is the absence of heat.
- Illusion Manipulation - Darkness is often associated with trickery/illusions.
- Ink Manipulation - black ink.
- If user also has Light Manipulation, they could learn Twilight Manipulation.
- Light-Darkness Manipulation
- Lunar Manipulation
- Night Embodiment
- Personal Void
- Space-Time Slicing - In some universes darkness can be used in a way that slices through space and/or time.
- Twilight Manipulation when combined with Light Manipulation.
- Umbrakinetic Immunity
- Distance, mass, precision, etc. depend upon of the knowledge, skill, and strength of the user, and their power's natural limits.
- Light Manipulation, Light Generation, and other light based powers are especially effective against this power.
- As shadow is a dark area produced by a body coming between rays of light and a surface, light may strengthen shadow magic or may even be a requirement in some universes.
- Umbrakinetic Immunity.
- May be unable to create darkness/shadow, being limited to manipulating only from already existing sources.
- May have to be in sync with darkness, whether their own or the source of their power.
- May become affected/corrupted through extended exposure.
See Also: Casting a Shadow.
- Darkinator (Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog)
- Medallion of Acrata (Arrowverse/Supergirl)
- The Kanohi Kraahkan (Bionicle); the Great Mask of Shadows
- Beelzebub (Date A Live)
- Canis Lykaon (Highschool DxD)
- Night Reflection (Highschool DxD)
- Key of Domination (Honkai Impact 3rd)
- Shadow-Shadow Fruit/Kage Kage no Mi (One Piece)
- Dark-Dark Fruit/Yami Yami no Mi (One Piece)
- Shadow Charms (Yu-Gi-Oh! GX)
- Dark Magic (Black Clover)
- Shadow Magic (Black Clover)