- "When we have the wisdom to use mercy and compassion instead of force...we human creatures will finally be on the path to perfection."
- ― Leslie Thompkins (DC Comics)
- "Those who have strong bond give off the scent of trust! But all I'm picking up from you two is the scent of fear, hatred and repulsion!"
- ― Tanjiro Kamado (Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba)
- "If you don't share someone's pain, you can never understand them."
- ― Nagato/Pain (Naruto)
The power to fully interpret and replicate the emotions, moods, and temperaments of others. Sub-power of Emotion Manipulation. Technique of Higher Consciousness. Variation of Telepathy. Opposite to Apathy.
- 1 Also Called
- 2 Capabilities
- 3 Applications
- 4 Techniques
- 5 Variations
- 6 Associations
- 7 Limitations
- 8 Known Users
- 9 Known Objects
- 10 Etymology
- 11 Gallery
- Emotion/Empathic Perception/Sense/Inception
- Emotion Sharing
The user can fully interpret the emotions, moods, and temperaments of others without reading apparent symptoms, allowing them to understand introverts or discover one emotion is actually hiding another. They can attack someone in a personal and emotional way since they know exactly what emotion is flowing through themselves and can use this knowledge to play against them. Some users may learn to read emotional imprints left into environment or objects.
Usually over time, an Empath's power grows to the point that they can manipulate emotions in others, and possibly use them to empower themselves. The user may learn to extend their power over/on vast numbers of sentient beings or reach extreme distances, even other levels of existence but this may be possible only if the user has an emotional link to those the search is already in effect on.
- Citified Sense
- Ecological Empathy
- Emotion Detection
- Emotion Projection
- Empathic Echoes
- Empathic Energy Manipulation
- Emotion Manipulation
- Empathic Inundation
- Psychic Navigation
- Remote Empathy
- Sensorial Link
Empathy has many branches of power, ranging from very weak to very advanced. As the user becomes more advanced, these branches may grow. Here are some levels that other empaths have displayed having/may gain:
- Clairaudience - Some Empaths have displayed the ability to not only feel emotions, but also "hear" the heightened thoughts associated with that specific emotions. This is probably due to the fact that both cortices (emotional and mental) so closely relate to one another. An example would be if an empath senses two spouses aiming a lot of hatred towards one another. The empath might get the echo of thought along with that emotion (E.g. "I can't believe he's cheating on me after all these years"). However this is not to be confused with Telepathy. An Empath can only get visionary "echoes" related to certain emotions. They cannot read full memories.
- Clairempathy - More advanced users of empathy have shown the ability to sense emotions over great distances such as cities, countries, continents, and other dimensions and planes (The Astral Plane AKA The Emotional Plane).
- Clairvoyance - An Empath can forge an emotional connection with another being. If that connection stays opens, the Empath is able to sense when that person is in danger and is also able to locate them by their "emotional scent". To give you an better understanding of this, one could consider this the empathic version of "Vampiric Siring" (see "True Blood", "Buffy", "Moonlight", and "The Vampire Diaries" for an understanding of supernatural "Siring"). See also Sensory Scrying. Also could be used to sense/feel/detect spiritual/demonic beings, as well as feel the danger within a place.
- Cosmic Empathy- Skilled Empaths can feel other's emotions on a cosmic scale
- Empathic Communication- Lucky Empaths can gain the ability to communicate through emotions.
- Empathic Healing - This is a level that is somewhat rare and not many can master. Empaths can easily heal emotional wounds, but healing physical wounds is somewhat uncommon. When an Empath "heals" wounds that are physical, they don't heal the actual injury. The Empath simply takes the pain into themselves so the victim no longer feels that pain.
- Empathic Illusion Casting - Empaths can create illusions based on certain emotions.
- Empathic Mimicry - Higher level Empaths can use this power to tap into others' abilities. This is done by the Empath channeling someone and finding the exact emotion that triggers their power. The Empath, so long as they remember that emotion, is able to use/copy that person's power, and maybe even turn that power against the original user.
- Empathic Power Absorption - Highly advanced Empaths can steal the powers of others for their own by using an associated emotion, leaving the victim powerless.
- Empathic Power Randomization - Powerful Empaths can gain random powers based on their mood and emotions (gaining Regenerative Healing Factor or Invulnerability when scared, or Enhanced Strength when angry).
- Empathic Projection - Some Empaths can develop the ability to project their own emotions onto others.
- Intuitive Empathic Replication - Unlike Empathic Mimicry where the user simply channels and copies others powers, Intuitive Empathy Replication gives that user the knowledge on how to use the ability intuitively.
- Intuitive Empathy - Unlike the usual filters of Empathy where the user can fully interpret the emotions, moods, and temperaments of others, Intuitive Empaths can sense energy from other people, to the extent of absorbing it into their own body and feel the same intense emotions intuitively.
- Lie Detection - Empaths can sense when a good person is lying to them, as lying can cause an irregularity in one's emotions. More skilled users can pick out the lie and find the truth.
- Omni-Empathy- At full power, Empaths can feel the emotions of every single being in existence that has emotions.
- Omnilingualism - Some Empaths can speak, write, understand and communicate in any fluently language, and as such is potentially able to understand and communicate with anyone, even non-humans on an emotional level.
- Psychometry - There are some places that have constant emotional residue (due to major events happening in that location war, death, historical moments, etc.). Some Empaths are able to tap into those emotional (lower level users that enter these places are overpowered involuntarily) imprints and re-experience those emotions as if they were happening in that moment. If skilled enough, some Empaths can also see the emotional echoes (images/residual ghosts) still there. This would be due to high levels of concentrated emotional energy.
- Tactile Empathy - Empaths can sense, understand and/or manipulate the emotions of others through physical contact.
- Techno-Empathy - Empaths can sense the emotions of machines and other technology.
- Telempathy - Some Empaths can not only sense others emotions, but they can also send their own emotions to others. Users can communicate with one another emotionally and if skilled enough send "echoes" (ie: it means a quick glimpse of an images and thoughts, e.g. sending the emotion of love to another user and the receiver seeing an image of their loved one like a mother, child, or spouse) of images back and forth.
- Visual Empathy -Some Empaths can see the moods and emotions of others.
- Emotion Manipulation
- Enhanced Senses
- Higher Consciousness
- Indomitable Emotions
- Intuitive Aptitude
- Intuitive Empathy
- Musical Empathy
- Sensory Sharing
- Spiritual Meditation- Clearing your negative emotions can help you know those of others
- Tattoo Empathy
- Tranquil State
- In real life and in fiction, this doesn't have to be an actual power, but it can be a skill/ability that can be developed, though it's rare if reaches the same level as the actual power.
- Defenseless against beings that have no emotions, such as robots or users of Apathy.
- Users of Psychic/Empathic Shield (highly resistant), Psychic Immunity (impervious) and Indomitable Will.
- Emotion locked users are immune.
- User may suffer from a Sensory Overload due to absorbing too many emotions.
- Cannot work on mindless beings such as users of Zombie Physiology.
- May only be able to receive emotions.
- Might get taken over and act on those emotions.
- Inexperienced Empaths may find their powers completely useless in a fight.
- May experience headaches.
- May not be able handle large amounts of emotions at once.
See also: The Empath.
- The brooches of the Butterfly and Peacock (Miraculous: Tales of Ladybug and Cat Noir)
- Kenbunshoku Haki (One Piece)
- SCP-1425 - Star Signals (SCP Foundation)
A twentieth-century borrowing from Ancient Greek ἐμπάθεια (empátheia, literally “passion”) (formed from ἐν (en, “in, at”) + πάθος (páthos, “feeling”)), coined by Edward Bradford Titchener in 1909 to translate German Einfühlung.