- "Wonderful. I have great respect for those who brew wonderful coffee. So much so, I'd like to steal you for my own business. There's just one small problem... The despicable lie you're telling."
- ― Saigiku Jono (Bungo Stray Dogs)
- "Contract...I am thou, thou art I...The forbidden wisdom has been released. No mysteries...no illusions shall deceive you any more"
- ― Necronomicon (Persona 5)
- "This taste...Is the taste of liar!! Giorno Giovanna!!"
- ― Bruno Bucciarati (JoJo's Bizarre Adventure Part V: Golden Wind/Vento Aureo)
- "Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance."
- ― George Bernard Shaw
- 1 Also Called
- 2 Capabilities
- 3 Associations
- 4 Limitations
- 5 Known Users
- 6 Known Objects
- 7 Gallery
- Intuitive Polygraphy
- Lie Sensing
- Mendacity Detection
Users can sense when they are lied to by various means. Unlike regular humans who can also discern when they are lied to with limited accuracy and consistency, the user can detect any and all lies being told at any moment, even if the one spewing lies is doing so through supernatural or abnormal means.
- Empathy by reading the emotions of another person to try and see if they are telling the truth.
- Illusion Awareness by detecting the falsehoods that are illusions.
- Enhanced Hearing by hearing the heartbeat increase.
- Enhanced Smell by smelling pheromones.
- Enhanced Vision by seeing physical body ticks, such as twitching fingers or an increase in blinking.
- Precognition/Retrocognition by using intuition to know that it is a lie.
- Telepathy- by reading the thoughts of others
- Truth Detection- by figuring out whether something is really true.
- Vibration Detection/Heartbeat Detection by reading the vibration from one's heart.
- Divided Mind would allow a user to defeat this technique, by only allowing one personality to know.
- May not work on users of Indomitable Will.
- Power can be subconsciously blocked when around someone the person trusts. Say a best friend or a family member.
- Versions based on emotions are useless against Apathy and Soullessness.
- May not differentiate between a white lie or a secret.
- Versions based on pulse difference may not be able to differentiate lies if subject/targets have no pulse difference.
- Pacemakers just beat at one pace.
- Those who are skilled can control their heartbeat or emotions.
- May not work against brainwashed targets.
- May not be able to sense the reason behind the lie.
- May be based on what the target believes to be true.
- May only be able to sense lies, not half-truths or omissions.
- Kanohi Rode, the Mask of Truth (Bionicle)
- Lasso of Truth (DC Comics)
- Judgement Field (Fairy Tail Zero)
- Shining Lie Detector (Nanana's Buried Treasure)
- Box of Truth (Star vs. the Forces of Evil)