- "Reality can be turned into whatever we want! Because... it's magic, right?"
- ― Noelle Silva (Black Clover)
- "Magic had been achieved by great mystics from ancient times; whether miracles brought forth by ‘Gods’, demonic power of ‘Devils, or else original theories on supernatural phenomenon, they were all things that could be reproduced through formulas. All phenomenon have fixed laws, which can be measured, calculated, and their manifestation derived through 'magic'."
- ― Lavinia Reni (Highschool DxD)
- "The language of the Mystic Arts is as old as civilization. The sorcerers of antiquity called the use of this language 'spells,' but if that word offends your modern sensibilities, you can call it a program; the source code that shapes reality. We harness energy drawn from other dimensions of the Multiverse to cast spells, to conjure shields and weapons, to make magic."
- ― The Ancient One to Stephen Strange/Doctor Strange (Marvel Cinematic Universe)
- Magick/Magyk/Magyck Force
- The Arcane/Magical Arts
- The Art Of Magic
- The Craft
- The Indistinguishable Science
Users are able to utilize magic, the use of rituals, symbols, action, gestures, language, etc., to utilize mysterious and/or supernatural forces that don't abide by conventional science or laws of reality to achieve any effect imaginable. They can do so to varying degrees, with only their skill, personal power-level, imagination/knowledge, and/or morality to define the borders. Given the flexibility of magic and their ability to transcend logic, laws, and common sense, its users have essentially limitless possibilities for what they can accomplish and achieve, essentially being capable of altering reality through their magic.
All magic is fueled by magical energies, like mana or other potential sources, such as energies from arcane beings. Without the necessary energy/source to fuel magic into existence it would be simply be powerless practices and pure myths. Overall magic by it's purest nature and concept is a mystic forces that roots variants forms of magics throughout the supernatural world.
Users themselves who wield magic can fundamentally inherit esoteric qualities, traits that empowers the user on the kind of magic that they use, having all the passive and active aspects that makes the functionalities of their magic to work on the intentions and ideals within both the user and magical laws and rules that are bound to the magical world, for example an elementalist who has elemental magic can gain all the traits and abilities based of the elements themselves as well as having an entire status of the elements that intertwines with their own physiological nature.
- Magical Energy Manipulation: using supernatural energy to cast magic.
- Mana Manipulation; the magical variation of life-energy.
- Magical Force Manipulation; accessing the fundamental force of magic itself.
- Mystic Derivation; the user can became the source of magic if strong enough.
- Magical Particle Manipulation
- Magic Empowerment; Be empowered by specific sources of magic.
- Mystic Object; using a magically charged object.
- Aether Manipulation/Arts; Using the "essence of existence" to alter its structure.
- Ambient/Natural Energy Manipulation; using nature´s power to control its esoteric side.
- Enigma Force
Some examples of the potential use of magic:
- Effect Field Projection
- Effect Generation
- Magic Aura
- Magic Channeling
- Magic Conversion
- Magic Generation
- Magic Replication
- Magical Communication
- Magical Constructs
- Magical Flight
- Magical Medicine Manipulation
- Magical Object Manipulation
- Magical Power Level - Some users are more powerful than others.
- Magical Telekinesis/Telepathy/Teleportation
- Mystic Arts
- Personal Domain
- Personal Magic
- Reality Warping
- Ritual Empowerment
- Spell Casting
- Supernatural Properties Manipulation
- Sympathetic Magic
- Twin-Based Powers - If the user has a sibling(s).
- Wish Granting
- Abjuration: The power to protect/heal/support.
- Animancy: The power to manipulate the forces of life.
- Conjuration: The ability to create or transfer an item, object or living being to a specified location.
- Enchantment: The power to influence the minds/emotions/senses and alter the properties of objects.
- Nature: The power to control the forces of the natural world for a variety of effects.
- Animal Manipulation
- Elemental Manipulation
- Sky Manipulation
- Plant Manipulation
- Weather Manipulation
- Ocean Manipulation
- Terrain Manipulation
- Necromancy: The power to manipulate the forces of death.
- Transmutation: The power to transform living or non-living things.
- Magic Bestowal
- Magic Detection
- Magic Inheritance
- Magic Interaction
- Magic Invisibility
- Magic Unification
Types of Magic
- Magic: Utilize supernatural forces to potentially achieve any effect one desires.
- Users are able to utilize magic, the use of rituals, symbols, action, gestures, language, etc., to utilize mysterious and/or supernatural forces that don't abide by conventional science or laws of reality to achieve virtually any effect imaginable.
- Magic Mastery: Master all their myriad forms of magic, to perceive and understand magic like no other.
- Users has ever-growing understanding of the workings of magic soon allows them to extensively modify any spell available to them, drastically increasing their potency and efficiency, having their own arsenal of magical trump card, while intuiting effective countermeasures to most spell and entity they come in contact with.
- Meta Magic: Transcend the rules of magic.
- Omni-Magic: Possess absolutely every type of magic.
- They can bend, break, and even create natural laws, distort the fabric of reality on a cosmic scale, perform unbelievable miracles, and create things without limit, all by merely using their magical prowess.
- Almighty Magic: Wield omnipotent magic.
- Users possess and can use magic of omnipotent nature, entailing omnipotence, but in what we know as magic and everything associated, related and branched out from it. This includes the esoteric, mystical and supernatural.
There are multiple scholarly definitions of the term magic. I could cite them all, pointing out their various inconsistencies and pondering which should be considered most correct, but I will not. Instead, I will borrow the words I heard from my own mistress, when I was a young and inexperienced sorceress and put forth a similar question.
Magic is oftentimes referred to as "the Art" This is no coincidence. Magic is perceived by many as an elite discipline requiring artistry and talent, and indeed very few possess the immense creative abilities needed to wield it. Those with magical talent can use it to create things of awe and beauty- wonders without which the world would certainly be a much more miserable place. Therefore, those who name magic a beautiful blessing, brought forth into this world by the Conjunction of the Spheres, are in a sense correct.
Magic has also been called chaos incarnate: a primal, dangerous force, merciless and destructive. In the hands of the unwary it becomes a key that can open the forbidden door, behind which lies ruin and destruction. Therefore, those who say that magic is a curse born of chaos during the Conjunction of the Spheres that will doom this world are also correct.
Finally, according to others, magic is science-that is, knowledge which can only be acquired through extensive study, discipline, and hard work. In this view, magic is progress. It is a process of constant advancement initiated during the Conjunction of the Spheres which brings development, eliminates the ailments of this world, provides answers to the questions that plague mankind, broadens minds, and introduces innovation. It is therefore also correct to say that magic is its own particular science.
In the end, magic is all three of the above. It is Art, Chaos, and Science: a blessing, a curse, and progress. It all depends on who calls upon it, and for what purpose.
Magic stems from nature. It is in the earth we walk upon, in the fire burning in its heart, in the air we breathe, and in the water which brings life and which flows within us. If you happen to be gifted with the particular talent, all you need do is reach out your hand and grasp the magic all around you. - pg.78-79, (The War of Two Queens)
- Adaptive Magic
- Alien Physiology
- Amazon Physiology
- Atlantean Physiology
- Cosmic Manipulation
- Dreamtime Arts
- Dual Warping; the method of spell casting is rational while some of the effects of spells and magic’s core nature is irrational.
- Elf Physiology
- Fiction Manipulation
- Hybrid Physiology
- Kitsune Physiology
- Ley Line Manipulation
- Magic Embodiment
- Magical Energy/Entity Physiology
- Fairy Physiology; fairy´s are heavily associated with magic.
- Merfolk Physiology
- Miracle Manipulation
- Mystic Human Physiology
- Power Source; true magic always has a supernatural source.
- Superior Human Physiology
- Supernatural Manipulation
- The Magician
- Transcendent Physiology
- There may always be a price.
- Always make sure that the user knows what the price is, and it may come back to haunt that said user.
- It must be paid, one way or another.
- The price can range from something as insignificant as the magical energy required to activate a magical spell, a part of the user's sanity, a physical object or material, or even something devastating, like one's own life, or worse.
- The insignificance of magical energy may vary based on its source and availability.
- Magic is balance, meaning the benefits it provides may result in consequences to offset it.
- Magic may be needed to defeat magic.
- Stronger magics will overcome weaker ones.
- Magic Resistance may foil the users plans.
- Magic often drains a person's stamina or mana.
- Naturally, stronger magic puts a much greater strain.
- Magic may be unpredictable, if one gets too creative or is interrupted in a crucial moment. Results range from amusing to annoying, but correctable, to destructive to lethal, to catastrophic to apocalyptic.
- Without the knowledge or proper skill, the intended use of a spell can create unpredictable or potentially dangerous results.
- There may be some side effects to using certain types of magic or spells.
- Society with knowledge about magic is likely to have rules/laws about its use, and areas of magic that are forbidden.
- In some societies, magic may be limited to a specific class or status.
- The use of magic may also be further limited to a certain species, as only some species may possess the required physiology and/or organs to facilitate magic use.
- In some societies, magic may be limited to a specific class or status.
- User may be unable to use spells that are beyond their imagination.
- Using magic may take concentration, focus and mental strength.
- May react disastrously with Science Manipulation.
- May disrupt/cancel out technology.
- May need to perform certain actions/fulfill conditions to use magic, ranging from specific words/songs, certain hand/body moves, materials that may be consumed or even extensive rituals.
- Cannot be detected by Magic Invisibility and Magic Intangibility.
- May require prolonged learning of magical principles/knowledge/rituals/incantations to perform any spells
- Magic may not work on humans because they do not possess it, eliminate it, or are immune, but it depends on the universe.
- There exists some universal differences.
- Some universes have limits for what they can do or substances that they can't affect.
- Depending on who can use magic varies between universes.
- How one gains magic varies greatly.
- Magic and science may be the same thing or two completely different and unrelated forces.
- How magic and technology react to each other varies greatly.
Known Kinds of Magic
- Arms Alchemy (Buso Renkin)
- Kidō/Demon Arts (Bleach)
- Various forms of Magic (Fairy Tail)
- Caster Magic
- Holder Magic
- Lost Magic
- Tao Magic (Outlaw Star)
- Tier Magic (Overlord)
- Wild Magic (Overlord)
- Planetary Magic (Sailor Moon)
- Witches (World Witches/Strike Witches)
- Shadow Magic (Yu-Gi-Oh!)
- Chaos Magic (DC Comics)
- Order Magic (DC Comics)
- Necro Magic (Image Comics)
- Chaos Magic (Marvel Comics)
- Dark/Black Magic (Marvel Comics)
- Shaman Magic (Marvel Comics)
- The Odin Force (Marvel Comics)
- White Magic (Marvel Comics)
- Flesh Magic (Buffy the Vampire Slayer)
- God Magic (Charmed)
- Mermaid Magic (H2O: Just Add Water)
- Traditional Magic (The Vampire Diaries/The Originals/Legacies)
- Spirit Magic (The Vampire Diaries)
- Expression (The Vampire Diaries)
- Asgardian Magic (Marvel Cinematic Universe)
- Sorcery (Marvel Cinematic Universe)
- Fairy Magic (Merlin)
- Sith Magic (Star Wars)
- Shugenja (Legend of the Five Rings)
- Magic Users (RPGS)
- Witch Girls (Witch Girls)
- Amber Davis
- Monica Green
- Rosa Montoya
- Lucinda Nightbane
- Amy Lynn Olson
- Lillian Tamako