This page is an overview of Magic. Magic is a method of reaching nearly every power. For specific skills and powers, please see Category:Magical Abilities.
"Any sufficiently analyzed magic is indistinguishable from science!" — Niven's Law
The ability to use magical forces to varying degrees. Those who posses this powers are know (among other things) as Magicians, Wizards, and Witches.
- The Art
- The Craft
Magic users have essentially unlimited possibilities for how they use their power, with only their skill, personal power-level, imagination/knowledge and/or morality to define the borders. Note that not all "magical" superpowers are actually supernatural, but are based on alternative or futuristic "science".
Some sampling of the potential use of magic:
- Energy Constructs
- Potion Creation for various purposes (i.e. explosive, healing)
- Reality Warping
- In some societies magic may be limited to a specific class or status.
- Some universes have limits for what they can do or substances that they can't affect.
- Who can use magic and what kind varies between universes.
- There is a Price, always.
- Magic Immunity is exactly that and will foil the plans.
- Magic is often draining to persons stamina or Mana, stronger magic putting a much greater strain.
- Magic is unpredictable if one gets too creative or is interrupted on crucial moment. Results range from amusing to annoying but mendable to destructive to lethal to Catastrophic to Apocalyptic.
- Society with knowledge about magic is likely to have Rules/Laws about its use and areas of magic that are forbidden.
- Users are unable use spells that are beyond their imagination.
- Using magic takes concentration and focus.
- There can be those more powerful in magic, or those with more powerful powers such as Omnipotence or Divinity.