- " Boy...you read my thoughts! You've got the Shinning."
- "You mean "Shining."
- "Shh! You want to get sued? But don't be reading my mind between four and five. That's Willy's time!"
- ― Groundskeeper Willy and Bart Simpson (The Simpsons)
- "The mind is not a book, to be opened at will and examined at leisure. Thoughts are not etched on the inside of skulls, to be perused by any invader. The mind is a complex and many-layered thing, Potter. Or at least most minds are... It is true, however, that those who have mastered Legilimency are able, under certain conditions, to delve into the minds of their victims and to interpret their findings correctly."
- ― Severus Snape (Harry Potter)
- "I have the Shining now!"
- "And Chris has the Shining now."
- ― Chris and Lois Griffin (Family Guy)
The power to sense the thoughts of people. Sub-power of Telepathy.
- Thought Reading
The user can sense the thoughts of other people, usually hearing them like ordinary speech, but possibly by other senses such as sight. Usually, they sense the surface thoughts (including other mental communications), but they can also learn to push farther into subconscious and memories.
- Lie Detection
- Truth Detection
- Telepathic Prediction
- Thought Detection
- Memory Reading
- Psychic Reflexes
- Thought Manipulation
- Does not work on mindless beings (corpses, animated objects, robots, etc.).
- May be limited to a certain range to work, including touch only.
- May be limited to one target at a time.
- May be unable to "turn off" their power and have to constantly hear thoughts.
- Since the user constantly hears thoughts, this limitation makes mind reading ineffective in large crowds.
- May not be able to read impulsive actions.
- Users of Psychic Shield (highly resistant) and Psychic Immunity (impervious).
- May get overwhelmed by too many thoughts.
- May get overwhelmed by too many thoughts, especially the ones which are too complicated (e.g. a genius' mind which is doing calculus), detailed (e.g. an artist's or photographer's mind which has a photographic memory), insane/morally corrupted (e.g. "murder is good", "I will create my idea of the perfect world by genocide", "burning folks to death is helpful"), and/or ones which don't make any sense (e.g. "2+2=5", "a square circle", "a one-ended line").
- Depending upon the user's ability, skill, and tolerance, attempting to read certain minds (e.g. genius or the insane) may be hard, impossible, or self-destructive.
- Unless one is multilingual or has the automatic ability to translate and decrypt, ability may not work if the target is thinking in alternate languages or encrypted codes.
- The more intense the thought, the louder it sounds to the user.
- Helmet of Truth (American Dragon: Jake Long)
- EarPods (Doctor Who)
- Gan Xiang Sapphire (Kung Fu Panda: Legends of Awesomeness)
- Mind Gem (Marvel Comics)
- Experimental Neuro-Headset (Some Assembly Required)
- Millennium Eye (Yu-Gi-Oh!)
- Mind Reader Conch (Xiaolin Showdown)