- "I am not Milton Fine, Superman...I am Vril Dox of the Planet Colu!! But I possess Fine's body...Fine's power!! I have become Brainiac and your master!!!"
- ― Vril Dox I/Brainiac to Superman (DC Comics) after taking control of Milton Fine's body
- "Sorry kid, but you're MY puppet now!"
- ― Bill Cipher while inside Dipper Pines (Gravity Falls)
- "A fruit loop would not have been able to make his first million with a series of invisible burglaries! A fruit loop would never have thought to overshadow enough millionaires to become one of the richest men on the planet! I AM NOT A FRUIT LOOP!"
- ― Vlad Masters/Plasmius's response to Danny calling him a fruit loop for spying on him (Danny Phantom)
The power to inhabit the bodies of other beings/entities. Opposite to Exorcism.
- 1 Also Called
- 2 Capabilities
- 3 Applications
- 4 Techniques
- 5 Variations
- 6 Associations
- 7 Limitations
- 8 Known Users
- 9 Known Objects
- 10 Gallery
- 11 Videos
- Body Hijacking/Possession
- Ghost Possession
- Psionic Possession
- Spiritual/Soul Possession
- Take-Over Magic
User can inhabit or take over the body of other beings, whether sentient or not, by stealing their motor functions and senses. Users may or may not have to leave their own body for this to take place. Disembodied users such as spirits may use the body as their own.
- Can possess a body which can be useful for espionage. The spirit/soul can lie inside the host's mind and body without taking control.
- Mind Melding
- Mind Reading
- Mind Walking
- Possession Attacks
- Sensory Scrying
- Skilled users can possess multiple host bodies while retaining their own or even while occupying another vessel.
- Take complete control of a target's body, even using it as one’s own (the target is then known as a vessel).
- Temporarily/permanently inhabit the body of the target.
- The occupant spirit/soul can leave the body freely.
- The overshadowed being might be able to fuse with them creating a new being.
- Utilize as a last resort to escape a dying body and to achieve immortality.
- When the user possesses a body, they can potentially gain the skills and powers of the body.
- In some cases the victim would gain the powers of the possessor when they are overshadowed.
- Animal Possession
- Assimilative Possession
- Biophysical Possession
- Consumptive Possession
- Empathic Possession
- Infestation/Orifice Invasion - Biological possession by entering the target's body.
- Multi Possession
- Multilayered Possession
- Object Possession
- Partial Possession
- Possessive Body
- Possessive Power Absorption
- Possessive Replication
- Possession Magic
- Possessive Teleportation - Warping from host to host.
- Possessive Transformation
- Remote Possession
- Spirit Possession
- Technological Possession
- Astral Manipulation
- Body Manipulation - Alter the host to resemble their original forms.
- Consciousness Transferal
- Demon Physiology
- Mind Manipulation
- Non-Corporeal Form
- Parasite Physiology
- Soul Transferal
- Voice Manipulation - to match the voice of the user possessing.
- May be cast out of the host through Exorcism.
- Users of Indomitable Will are either resistant or immune.
- Cannot possess those with Possession Immunity or Control Immunity.
- Overtaken host may be able to fight back for their body.
- May be banished/purify through Omni Purification
- May need to focus to return to original body.
- May be overpowered by the host, placing the inhabitant in a sleep-like state.
- May have to touch the target for transfer to be made.
- May only work with one body at a time for new users.
- May only be able to use another's body with the host's permission.
- May be banished through Purification.
- May need to switch bodies often in order to preserve their life.
- May die if the host is killed.
- User's presence may cause damage to the host (sheer power, physiology rejection, etc.).
- May kill the host in the process by "crushing" them from the inside.
- The inhabitant's actual body may be vulnerable to attack and the inhabitant may die or become trapped in the host if the possessor's body is damaged/destroyed beyond repair.
- May not have control over the host body, but simply influence the host with Mind Control.
- Users of Telepathy may be resistant or immune.
- May require specific host bodies.
- Kowaina's Mask (Yes! Pretty Cure 5)
- Hoshina's Ball (Yes! Pretty Cure 5 GoGo!)
- Necronomicon Ex-Mortis (The Evil Dead series)
- RPC-173 - Racing Dice (RPC Authority)
- RPC-061 - The Black Knight's Gauntlet (RPC Authority)
- SCP-035 - Possessive Mask (SCP Foundation)
- SCP-826 - Draws You into the Book (SCP Foundation)
- SCP-1510 - The Tarnished Legionnaire (SCP Foundation)
- Anubis (JoJo's Bizarre Adventure Part III Stardust Crusaders)
- Gikon (Bleach)