- "It means the core is open. It means the fire we're watching with our own eyes is giving nearly twice the radiation released by the bomb in Hiroshima. And that's every single hour. Hour after hour, 20 hours since the explosion, so 40 bombs worth by now. Forty-eight more tomorrow. And it will not stop. Not in a week, not in a month. It will burn and spread its poison until the entire continent is dead!"
- ― Valery Legasov on the Chernobyl disaster situation. (Chernobyl 2019)
- Induced Radioactivity (Heroes)
- Radioactivity Manipulation
- Radiation Control
User can create, shape and manipulate radioactivity, the process by which a nucleus of an unstable atom loses energy by emitting particles of ionizing radiation. A material that spontaneously emits this kind of radiation, which includes the emission of energetic alpha particles, beta particles, gamma rays, and neutron particles is considered radioactive.
All chemical elements may be rendered radioactive by adding or by subtracting (except for hydrogen and helium) neutrons from the nucleus of the stable ones. The availability of this wide variety of radioactive isotopes has stimulated their use in a wide variety of fields, including chemistry, biology, medicine, industry, artifact dating, agriculture, and space exploration.
The health risk associated with exposure to a particular radionuclide will depend on the radiation emitted and its chemical behavior. Beta, gamma, to neutron radiation can penetrate through the skin and may pose an external radiation hazard, but alpha radiation can enter the body by inhalation and ingestion since it bounces off the skin and then detonates afterward, though they are technically more dangerous. According to the Q factors, beta radiation power output, is a level of 1, making it the weakest. Neutron radiation on the other hand, is a dice toss on whether they are slow or fast, but despite that, they travel extremely long distances. What matters the most is that they are twice as harder to stop unlike gamma rays being stopped by lead for example. The Q factor output for those is 5 for the slower ones, and 10 for the faster ones. Gamma radiation is a Q factor of 1, while the one that exceeds those numbers is the alpha particles. Despite being sluggish and unable to penetrate the skin and clothing, they have a power output of 20, which makes them more hazardous. Ironically, gamma rays for example, are of the electromagnetic category, even though its actually of the nuclear category, but it is the strongest in terms of electromagnetism. Standard hazard suits are virtually to totally useless against ionizing radiation, with the obvious exception being alpha particles.
Radiation is always found anywhere, but only in different specific types in terms of what sources they originate. Background radiation may be ionizing radiation, but the dosage rate is too low to be hazardous. There may be instances of it being harmful, but the incidents in association with background radiation are very few and far between. There are also instances of certain foods being radioactive, like bananas. However, the sievert amount is only 0.1%, meaning it's ridiculously low, and it isn't enough to harm people.
Intake will lead to dose delivery to the respiratory and alimentary tracts, and absorption into the blood followed by entry into other organs and tissues.
If a subject is exposed to ionizing radiation, he/she will contract acute radiation sickness/syndrome, also known as radiation toxicity, poisoning, and sickness. Depending on the amount of exposure, or in other words, a gray (Gy), ARS also comes in various severity incarnations, such as chronic, hematopoietic, gastrointestinal, neurovascular, and cutaneous radiation sickness. Throughout each of those ARS severities, there are different outcomes to how it affects the body, going from simply survivable and treatable, to just flat out horrific, deadly, and so brutal to the point that there is nothing that can be done to get rid of it. In any of those outcomes, it takes over a matter of hours/minutes until they go into the prodromal stage. The person that has fallen victim to radiation is susceptible to nausea, vomiting any time the radiation forcibly activates the cells within the gastrointestinal tract, diarrhea, headaches, to even fevers, and tends to go on and off mysteriously. As ionizing radiation damages and messes up the deoxyribonucleic acid, harmful mutations will start to take place, whether dying, or simply becoming cancerous.
At the same time this damage occurs, the cells can no longer reproduce once the DNA is harmed and destroyed, and this also causes them to die. As time progresses, the symptoms will all of a sudden fade away, whilst both appearing healthy and feeling better, but they aren't. This is commonly referred to as the latency stage, or just called the latency period. With the cells still dying and breaking down, the bone marrow's stem cells that materialize white blood cells, are destroyed to the point of no longer reproducing white blood cells for the immune system, causing the person to become much more vulnerable to infections. In the aftermath of this stage, the person's body can no longer compensate for the number of damaged cells, and this is when he/she enters the manifest illness stage.
Depending on the ARS variations, this lasts for hours to even over the course of months. During that process, the arteries and veins will begin to collapse and break apart, and this causes overwhelming pain to the subject to the point of screaming and crying out in agony. At that point, the morphine is rendered useless as the veins and arteries are broken to the stage of not carrying it around to cease it.
The person's hair will also eventually begin to fall out, leading to alopecia. Depending on the exposures being dealt, with the skin is more prone to being easily torn off painfully, especially if gauzes are carefully taken off. At that point, the skin will be covered mostly or mainly, of blisters and burns. If the subject has absorbed radiation in severe yet overwhelming amounts, the entire body will begin to enter the state of necrosis, with the lips gone, the body becoming cadaverous whilst still alive, and this is what makes that sort of way of physical death experience slow and painful.
Unlike other diseases however, ARS in all of its incarnations, is not contagious, unless the person is still covered in irradiated debris and/or dust, like ashes from a destroyed nuclear reactor after meltdown.
Radiation of all types can eradicate viruses, making radiokinesis effective against virus-related powers.
- Disease Generation including cancers.
- Cancer Inducement
- Disease Inducement: limited to radiation sickness, whether chronic, acute, hematopoietic, gastrointestinal, neurovascular, or cutaneous radiation sickness.
- Disintegration via radiolysis.
- Cellular Disintegration since ionizing radiation can shred and disintegrate the cells apart to the point of not being able to reproduce anymore.
- DNA Disintegration: ionizing radiation of virtually all kinds (except for Background Radiation) can destroy DNA.
- Pain Inducement by destroying veins and arteries, especially rendering morphine useless.
- Torment Inducement: if ARS is at an exaggerated dosage level, the person (once out of the latency period) will eventually have their body in a state of necrosis, melting, and burning, to even the point they are screaming in absolute agony. It also takes an extremely long time for them to finally pass away, making it the slowest physical death imaginable. The users can be capable of causing the same process, therefore cruelly and slowly, killing and torturing them at their leisure.
- Electromagnetic Pulse Emission to disable electronics depending on the sievert levels.
- Heat Manipulation by thermal radiation.
- Infectious Blast
- Ionic Manipulation
- Manipulate the properties of radiation.
- Move/lift radiation.
- Nuclear Explosion Inducement
- Poisonous Fallout Generation
- Radiation Absorption
- Radiation Attacks
- Radiation Constructs
- Radiation Detection
- Radiation Generation
- Radiation Immunity
- Radiation Solidification
- Beta Radiation Manipulation
- Bio-Radiation Manipulation
- Caustic Energy Manipulation
- Collision Inducement
- Cosmic Radiation Manipulation
- Gamma Radiation Manipulation
- Infectious Energy Manipulation
- Infrared Radiation Manipulation
- Ionic Radiation Manipulation
- Lazarus Wave Manipulation
- Microwave Manipulation
- Optical Phenomena Manipulation
- Orgone Radiation Manipulation
- Quantum Energy Manipulation
- Quark Manipulation
- Radiation Embodiment
- Radiation Magic
- Radio Manipulation
- Ultraviolet Manipulation
- Warp Wave Manipulation
- X-Radiation Manipulation
- Zero-Point Energy Manipulation
- Alopecia Projection
- Combined with Magma Manipulation, this results in Corium Manipulation.
- Cosmic Manipulation
- Electromagnetism Manipulation
- Gravitational Energy Manipulation
- Multiversal Force Manipulation
- Nuclear Manipulation
- Particle Manipulation
- Poison Manipulation
- Radioactive Bodily Fluids
- Radiation Weaponry
- Solar Manipulation
- Space Energy Manipulation
- Toxic Energy Manipulation
- Time Energy Manipulation
- Universal Force Manipulation
- Wave Manipulation
- Users of Radiation Resistance are resistant, while those of Radiation Immunity are impervious.
- Since radiation is a form of energy, users of Anti-Energy Manipulation can destroy all forms of radioactivity.
- Weak against lead, concrete, iron, (Gamma) paper, (Alpha) aluminium, (Beta) carbon, boron, and water (Neutrons).
- No ionizing radiation affects pure silica, a type of glass material.
- Users light is affected by everything that all radiation is, unless they are powerful/skilled enough to overcome these limits.
- Distance, mass, precision, etc. depend upon the knowledge, skill, and strength of the user, and their power's natural limits.
- While it isn't invented as a cure for radiation sickness in all its types, Iodine is a natural element derived from seafood that protects the thyroid glands from absorbing so much radiation, making it another counter-measure against it.
- May be unable to create radiation, being limited to manipulating only from already existing sources.
- Must be careful when using the ability.
- While standard hazmat suits are virtually to totally worthless against ionizing radiation, alpha particle radiation can't penetrate both skin and clothing.
- May be constantly active at varying levels.
- Might take time to learn control.
- May be limited on how much or type of radiation they can control.
- In entertainment media like western animation, the glowing light emitted from radiation is lime green in color, though in real life its shown to be light blue, a result of air ionized by the radiation or an effect known as Cherenkov Radiation, with the former being observed in the air, and the latter inside the liquids normally surrounding a nuclear reactor.
- As of explained earlier, Background Radiation may be a variant to ionizing radiation, but it doesn't exactly harm organisms because the levels of it are too low to induce radiation sickness. Since it existed for a long time on Earth, it can be determined that the radiation was created alongside the planet ever since the beginning.
- Fusion Reactor (Spider-Man 2)
- Positron Blaster Cannon (Gundam Franchise)
- Quantum Field Generator (DC Comics)
- Firestorm Matrix (The Flash)