- "We cut him, but he's not getting cut!?"
- "No! We cut him! That's for sure! But this monster... regenerates the moment we cut him!"
- "He won't die if we cut off his head. He regenerates so fast its impossible to slice up his body."
- ― Demon Slayers in regards to Muzan Kibutsuji (Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba)
- "Everything that breaks will regenerate right away... Attacks are useless... pitiful human."
- ― Kokushibo to Gyomei Himejima (Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba)
- 1 Also Called
- 2 Capabilities
- 3 Applications
- 4 Methods
- 5 Techniques
- 6 Variations
- 7 Levels of Regeneration
- 8 Associations
- 9 Limitations
- 10 Known Users
- 11 Known Objects
- 12 Gallery
- 13 Videos
- Accelerated Healing/Healing Factor/Regeneration
- Cellular Healing/Healing Factor/Regeneration
- Enhanced Healing/Healing Factor
- Epithelial Cell Regeneration
- Healing Factor
- High-Speed Regeneration/Healing/Healing Factor
- Instant/Instantaneous Healing/Healing Factor/Regeneration
- Molecular Regeneration
- Rapid Cell Mitosis/Regeneration
- Rapid Cellular Regeneration
- Regenerative Being/Regen Physiology
- Regenerative Healing/Powers
- Regenerator Physiology
- Spontaneous Regeneration/Healing/Healing Factor
- Tissue Regeneration
- Quick Regeneration
Users can rapidly regenerate, being restored to optimal health rapidly. In other words, they recreate lost or damaged tissues, organs and limbs, sometimes slowing, or even stopping aging. The rate and amount of healing vary widely (see Levels of Regeneration); some can regrow missing limbs, others must put the limb back in place for rapid regeneration. The user is generally in very good physical shape, as their bodies are constantly reverting to a healthy state, granting them nigh-inexhaustible stamina and vitality.
The regeneration process also increases the speed of processes the body uses in the healing such as endorphin production to mitigate pain reducing the amount of time and severity the subject feels discomfort leading to an increased pain threshold. Other processes included are the procution of adrenaline and the fight or flight response which are greatly extended by the increased recovery leading to increased physical performance as the subject gains elevated strength and energy while also able to push their bodies harder due to decreased sensation of pain.
At higher levels, a user can regenerate not just their cellular tissues, but also their DNA, undoing genetic mutations and breakdown, as well as maintaining one's youth by extending telomeres. This also gives them immunity to diseases and infections, undoing any unwanted symptoms, as well as providing a form of self-sustenance, foregoing the needs for oxygen and food intake. If advanced enough, the ability will cause the body to cease aging as the cells are regenerating and dying in equilibrium, granting immortality.
Regeneration differs from wound healing, which involves closing up the injury site with a scar.
- Acquired Immunity
- Contaminant Immunity
- Decelerated Aging/Longevity, Semi-Immortality or Immortality
- Disease Immunity
- Healing - Self
- Limb Regrowth
- Limb Reattachment
- Organic Preservation
- Pain Suppression
- Telomere Regeneration
- Atomic Manipulation: Repair oneself at a atomic level.
- Biological Manipulation: Repair/regenerate one's own damaged cells.
- Body Shedding: Leave all wounds behind.
- Event Negation: Negating injuries to "regenerate" wounds.
- Healing: Applying to heal to injuries and diseases.
- Infinite Energy: Provide oneself with infinite energy supply to constantly repair the damage.
- Molecular Manipulation: Repair oneself at a molecular level.
- Nanite Manipulation: Utilize nano-machines to repair bodily damage.
- Subatomic Manipulation: Repair oneself at a subatomic level.
- Supernatural Cells: Supernaturally induced cells rapidly recover.
- Self-Regeneration Manipulation: Consciously stimulate rapid recovery rate via cellular/genetic interaction.
- Telekinesis: Induce biological/molecular manipulation via psychic powers.
- Temporal Healing: Return one's own body to a state before it suffers any damage.
- Wound Transferal: Transfer sustained damage to another while healing oneself.
- Absorbing Regeneration: Regenerate by absorbing matter/energy to empower the regeneration process or transform matter/energy directly into their own mass.
- Consumption Healing: Regenerate by eating anything.
- Cosmic Regeneration: Regenerate by absorbing cosmic energy.
- Digital Regeneration: Regenerate by absorbing digital data.
- Inorganic Matter Regeneration: Regenerate by absorbing inorganic substances.
- Elemental Regeneration: Regenerate by absorbing elements.
- Organic Regeneration: Regenerate by absorbing living or non-living organic material.
- Stellar Regeneration: Regenerate by absorbing stellar matter/energy.
- Accelerating Regeneration: Increases the speed of regenerative power each time they are wounded.
- Adaptive Regeneration: Adapt to bodily harm as you regenerate.
- Ample Regeneration: (Surplus Regeneration, Hydra Effect) User grows back extra of whatever body parts are lost or lethally injured. One with this ability may lose an arm, and grow back two, or the like.
- User's body may only grow back two limbs or organs at a time; and the body can subliminally intuit when not to grow back extra parts (so the user doesn’t end up with eight heads or the like, which will actually impair function instead of helping it).
- Anatomical Liberation: User "re-collects" body parts after said parts have been dismembered or removed from the body. This ability makes being dismembered and vaporization impossible, as the body will simply pull itself back together.
- Body Recreation: User can recreate their body from scratch.
- Bone Regeneration: Regenerate bones.
- Core-Reliant Regeneration: Regenerate from any injuries so long as the core of the body remains intact.
- Emotion Regeneration: Regenerate from any damages done to one state emotions.
- Empathic Regeneration: Regenerate using emotion-based powers.
- Healing Coma: Undergo a coma, allowing the user’s body to heal without danger. One with this ability may generate an aura of healing energy, a psychic aura which accelerates the healing process, or a defensive aura to prevent further damage. In the first case, the life energy required may be absorbed from outside areas. In the second case, the energy comes from the mind. In the third case, the aura levitates the user and matches any outside force so as to be impenetrable by potentially-harmful outside forces.
- Petrifactive Hibernation: Enter a dormant state as a statue, from which the user emerges fully rejuvenated.
- Magical Regeneration: Regenerate through the aid of magic.
- Mechanical Regeneration: Regenerate through the aid of any type of machinery.
- Mental Regeneration: Regenerate from any damage done to mind, including brain damage, brain disease, etc.
- Mutative Regeneration: Regenerate at the cost of mutating.
- Regenerative Transformation: Regenerate while changing one's form.
- Nerve Regeneration: (Neural Regeneration, Nervous System Regeneration) Regenerate one’s nerves (which usually are incapable of regeneration) and to return them back to their original state after harm. The user could use this ability to resist being stunned, going unconscious, going into shock from intense pain or permanently losing sensation in any part of the body.
- This ability may grant immunity to paralysis, stroke, mental disability or the like if the entire nervous system can regenerate.
- Phasing Regeneration: regenerate via Intangibility.
- Recovery Mode: Go into a mode made for recovery.
- Reforming: (Reconstitution) Pull oneself back together after being blown up.
- Regenerative Bodily Fluids: Have bodily fluids with regenerative properties.
- Replication Regeneration: Regenerate using clones.
- Regenerative Durability: Be more durable due to the healing factor.
- Regenerative Replication: Clone using regeneration.
- Self-Regeneration Manipulation: Concentrate to effect personal self recovery.
- Sensory Regeneration: Regenerate senses/sensory organs.
- Symbiotic Regeneration: Regenerate using symbiotic power.
- Telekinetic Regeneration: Regenerate using psychic powers.
Levels of Regeneration
- Level I: Nigh-Peak Human (Example: Motoharu Tsuchimikado, A Certain Magical Index)
- Healing may be unreliable, either failing or have a limit on how many times it can be used.
- May come at a cost, such as accelerating cellular division and aging to close up the wound.
- May require a certain condition to activate regeneration, such as the consumption of blood.
- Regeneration may be limited to a certain part of the body, instead of the whole.
- Level II: Peak Human (Example: Taisuke Kano, Alive: Final Evolution)
- Minor wounds such as cuts, bruises, and light burns heal faster than normal.
- Recovering from minor to moderate blood loss.
- Critical wounds such as lost limbs, damaged nerves, and internal organs cannot be regenerated, as wounds would simply close up faster and lost organs remain lost.
- Cells that are fatally damaged, such as by burning, cannot be regenerated, resulting in permanent scarring.
- Level III: Nigh-Enhanced (Example: Ulquiorra Cifer, Bleach)
- External wounds, including fractured bones and deeper burns, may heal at an accelerated rate, disregarding severity.
- Cellular and genetic damage is reduced, greatly extending the user's lifespan.
- Lost limbs may be regenerated quickly or can be reattached.
- Can survive severe blood loss.
- Minor damaged internal organs may heal, but more severity may be beyond repair and may take more time to heal.
- Nerves may remain damaged to a certain extent.
- Tumorous cells may actually be multiplied via regeneration as they are considered living cells.
- Level IV: Enhanced (Example: Creed Diskenth, Black Cat)
- Minor to moderate wounds heal near-instantaneously, appearing as though they never happened, with more severe injury taking minutes or hours to heal.
- Lost limbs, internal organs and damaged nerves will be completely regenerated.
- Cellular senescence is drastically reduced, if not completely halted, granting decelerated aging/eternal youth.
- Critically and fatally damaged cells can regenerate, preventing scars.
- A user can regenerate as long as the head/brain is damaged to no more than a certain level.
- Disease Immunity
- A user is near-completely unaffected by toxin or drugs.
- Destruction of the head is one of the few sure methods to ensure the use of this level's death.
- Healing strength may be so powerful, the blood is enriched with healing powers that can be used to heal others.
- Level V: Supernatural (Example: Wolverine, Marvel Comics)
- Cellular regeneration and rejuvenation would be so powerful, the user would be close to true immortality.
- Brain cells and nerves can be completely repaired, to the point of keeping the mind intact.
- Decapitation can be reduced in effectiveness as the user can reattach their heads and seal the cut.
- Contaminant Immunity
- A user is forever in their optimal health and physical prime.
- Tumorous cells will be healed to the point of returning to their optimal, healthy form.
- The only way to inflict long term exhaustion and injury on the user is to use attacks faster than the speed of regeneration at a repeated rate.
- Level VI: Ultimate (Example: Cell, Dragon Ball Series)
- A user may regenerate all bodily damages on an ultimate scale.
- Decapitation would be pointless as a user can regenerate a head, or the head can regenerate a whole new body.
- Impossible to exhaust or permanently injure, regardless of attack speed.
- Removal of soul or temporal erasure are the only methods of killing the user.
- User is able to regenerate from a single cell/atom/particle.
- Level VII: Nigh-Absolute (Example: Duke Gilzen, Vampire Hunter D)
- A user can regenerate anything/everything on a near absolute level.
- An only possible method to truly kill the immortal is to first find a method to negate regeneration.
- Level VIII: Absolute (Example: Lilith , World of Darkness)
- A user may regenerate even if their body and soul are completely destroyed.
- Complete destruction results in complete restoration.
- Physical, mental, spiritual, temporal, and conceptual states will restore to full without fail.
- Cannot be nullified/erased/removed in any way.
- Autonomous Body Parts
- Biological Manipulation
- Body Manipulation
- Energy Independence
- Enhanced Recovery
- Enhanced Self-Resurrection
- Health Manipulation
- Injury Immunity
- Regeneration Manipulation
- Damage inflicted by Irreversible Destruction cannot be regenerated.
- Regeneration while automatic, can be effected via conscious thought. (Focus on getting better)
- Function of power:
- Instant death may kill the user before they regenerate.
- Damage to the brain/head:
- Decapitation/destroying the head can kill low-level users. High-level users can re-attach their head or regenerate a new head/body. Head Liberation users are unaffected.
- If regeneration needs brain signals, damage may hinder the process.
- May lose skills, senses, memories, or other powers. Loss may be permanent.
- Healing may not include Pain Suppression.
- May also involve inflammation.
- If power is biological:
- Biological Manipulation.
- Excessive cell division may damage mitochondria and/or telomeres, causing premature aging and associated health problems. Mitochondria/Telomere Regeneration solves this problem.
- Healing too fast may cause DNA replication errors, resulting in mutations, cancer, or the gain/loss/alteration of powers (including this power).
- May still be vulnerable to disease.
- May overload of the immune response, causing allergy/auto-immunity.
- Power may replace the immune system. A user never develops natural immunity, and is vulnerable if de-powered.
See Also: Healing Factor.
- Lionel (Akame Ga Kill!)
- Shroud of Eden (Assassins Creed: Syndicate)
- Extra Life Balloons (Donkey Kong Series)
- Stimpaks (Fallout Series)
- Cloak of the Starmaster (Homecoming Saga)
- Green Medicine/Serum (Logan)
- Horse Talisman (Jackie Chan Adventures)
- Regen Serum (Marvel Comics)
- Any Potion of Regeneration (Minecraft)
- Tori Tori no Mi, Model: Phoenix (One Piece)
- Golgotha/G-Virus (Resident Evil)
- Eveline's Mold (Resident Evil 7)
- SCP-596 - Cursed Regeneration Statue (SCP Foundation)
- 1-Up Mushrooms (Super Mario Series)