- "This is not me. This is merely a form I must take to converse with you insignificant mortals."
- ― Ether, The Book of Deacon
- "As amazing as it seems, he can manipulate his body on the genetic level. The changes are instantaneous: everything, even the clothing is imitated. Tissue differentiated and transformed - on the fly. I want it on a slab. I need to know what makes it tick."
- ― Director McMullan on Alex Mercer, (PROTOTYPE)
- "I know I'm human. And if you were all these things, then you'd just attack me right now, so some of you are still human. This thing doesn't want to show itself, it wants to hide inside an imitation. It'll fight if it has to, but it's vulnerable out of the open. If it takes us over, then it has no more enemies, nobody left to kill it. And then it's won."
- ― R.J. MacReady (The Thing)
The power to reshape one's form. Sub power of Transmutation.
- 1 Also Called
- 2 Capabilities
- 3 Applications
- 4 Techniques
- 5 Variations
- 6 Associations
- 7 Limitations
- 8 Known Users
- 9 Known Objects
- 10 Gallery
- 11 Videos
- Biological Alteration
- Cyber-Cloaking/Cyber-Mask (Lab Rats/Lab Rats Elite Force)
- Image Induction (Supergirl)
- Morfen (The Lorien Legacies)
- Morphological Being
- Shapeshifter Physiology
Users can shapeshift, changing their form and appearing at will, maybe even transforming and reshaping themselves down to their genetic and cellular structure. They can impersonate others or enhance their own body for combat, either by turning into animals, humanoids, monsters, etc. or by making the body stronger.
User with particularly flexible abilities can manipulate their form at will, combining abilities, traits, etc, even being able to form limbs into weapons and reforming after being blown apart by explosives.
Some more experienced users can even manipulate their DNA and completely change it on a molecular level.
- Adaptive Appearance: Transform based on adaptations.
- Base Form: A form the user spends most of their time in.
- Bilocation Shifting
- Biomorphing: Transform into any living thing.
- Body Manipulation: Manipulate any aspect of one's body.
- Clothing Generation: Take on any clothes of one's personal thoughts
- Desire Form: Take the form of others greatest desire.
- Digestive Shapeshifting: Take the appearance of other creatures by eating/consuming a part of them.
- Doppelgänger Morphing: Take the appearance of other beings.
- Perfect Doppelgänger: Take the powers, capabilities, memories, life-force, and personality of other beings.
- Disguise Mastery: Put on various numbers of disguises.
- Elasticity: Stretch, deform, expand, or contract one's body into any form imaginable.
- Empathic Shapeshifting: Shapeshift in response to one's emotions.
- Environmental Transformation: Transform based on the environment.
- Evolution: Enhance oneself permanently via accelerated evolution.
- Metamorphosis: Evolve naturally and permanently as one ages.
- Gender Transformation: Alter one's gender.
- God Morphing: To be able to morph into the deity.
- Inorganic Mimicry: Transform physically into an inorganic form.
- Inorganic Shapeshifting: Manipulate one's inorganic body.
- Inanimate Object Physiology: Transform into any objects.
- Malleable Anatomy: Rearrange the physiological features of oneself.
- Matter State Shift: Alter material state.
- Mechanical Morphing: Morph and change by mechanical means.
- Metaphoric Shapeshifting: Morph into something depending on the metaphorical situation.
- Mimicry Form: Mimic appearance and powers of other beings.
- Mixed Shapeshifting: Shapeshift into a form with different parts of different beings.
- Nemesis Form: Take the form of others worst fear.
- Object Morphing: Take the form of objects.
- Organic Mimicry: Transform physically into an organic form.
- Organic Shapeshifting: Manipulate one's organic body.
- Possessive Transformation: Transform the body of whoever the user is possessing.
- Post-Mortem Shapeshifting: Transform into anyone the user has killed.
- Power Physiology: Transform into power.
- Reactive Adaptation: Develop adaptation to combat threats or changes.
- Regenerative Healing Factor: Shape one's body/cells to their optimal state, healing rapidly from any physical injury, and even maintain eternal youth.
- Self-Particle Manipulation: Manipulate one's own particle structure.
- Shapeshifting Combat
- Shapeshifting Defense
- Size Manipulation: Change the size of oneself or select parts. They can shrink or grow to huge size.
- Soul Shapeshifting: Shapeshift one's soul into that of another.
- Species-Shifting: Transform into different species.
- Vehicle Morphing: Transform into vehicles.
- Voice Manipulation: Can change their voice when they shapeshift into a person.
- Wing Manifestation: Can manifest wings to fly on command.
- Elemental Shapeshifting: Shapeshift via elemental manipulation.
- Benzinikinetic Shapeshifting
- Electrokinetic Shapeshifting
- Ergokinetic Shapeshifting
- Geokinetic Shapeshifting
- Hydrokinetic Shapeshifting
- Photokinetic Shapeshifting
- Pyrokinetic Shapeshifting
- Umbrakinetic Shapeshifting
- Symbiotic Shapeshifting: Manipulate one's symbiotic form.
- Mixed Shapeshifting
- Shapeshifting Awareness
- Shapeshifting Inducement
- Shapeshifting Negation
- Shapeshifting Weaponry
- Amorphous Physiology
- Biological Manipulation
- Body Part Switching
- Capability Retention
- Feign Damage
- Mass Manipulation
- Organic Constructs
- Organic Manipulation
- Shape Defiance
- Shapeshifting Inducement
- Transformation Energy Manipulation
- Due to shapeshifters favoring certain forms for certain activities (e.g. bird-flying, fish-swimming), shapeshifters may be trapped and contained in places where only certain forms are feasible.
- May revert back to original form when unconscious or asleep.
- May require visual or genetic source material for a copy to be made.
- May be limited on how long transformation can last.
- May be unable to add/reduce mass, thus maintaining the physical capabilities of its original form.
- May have to stay near their own size.
- May have trouble with returning to original form.
- May be limited to humanoid shapes (human, werebeasts, etc).
- May be limited to organic lifeforms (animals, humans, etc.).
- May be limited to assuming the form of another person or creature sharing the same true gender as the shapeshifter.
- May be limited to assuming the likeness of lifeforms with or without gender.
- May be unable to transform into complex machinery (vehicles, projectile weapons, etc.), being limited to only simple tools and melee weapons.
- May retain characteristics of their original form in their new shape (i.e., color scheme, markings, voice, smell, etc.).
- May only be able to partially imitate personality traits, thus people acquainted with the person being impersonated may get suspicious.
- May not be able to change genetic coding (meaning blood type, gender, and DNA coding), though this does not limit the user from changing into an animal, liquid form, and such.
- May be able to change DNA coding only partially.
- Staying extended periods in single form may start affecting the users' behavior or even make them forget their true self.
- Some users may be able to change forms (categorized as humans, cats, weapons, a body of water, etc.), but cannot shape that form into their own customization; instead, it must match their original form's shape.
- Such shape that cannot be altered include genetic coding (gender, hair color, blood type), physical appearance (such as a girl cannot change her facial or body structure to resemble another girl's, and while she can change into a cat her fur pattern is based on her own form) and design (such as the girl changing her body into a sword but cannot customize its design for decorative effects).
- This may not include the user's age, as it is an aspect of their original form.
- Users of Shapeshifting Awareness will see their real forms.
- Users of Shapeshifting Negation may forcefully revert the user to their real form.
- Users of Mind Reading may read the user's mind and know who they truly are.
- If the user dies while standing in the form of the person or creature he is taking, he eventually returns to his original appearance.
- The process may be painful.
- May be involuntary; the user has no control over their transformations.
- Unless the user can absorb/modify their clothing during the transformation, they have to deal with it afterward.
- Clothing may be damaged during transformation unless it is part of the wearer's body or made of durable material.
- Some may have to touch a certain body part.
- ID Mask (Ben 10)
- Omnitrixes/Ultimatrixes (Ben 10); alien forms only
- Polyjuice Potion (Harry Potter)
- Mask of Shapeshifting (Bionicle)
- Shift Stone (Kung Fu Panda: Legends of Awesomeness)
- The Mask of many faces (Dungeons & Dragons)
- Cyber-Cloak/Mask (Lab Rats)
- Ghost ÄRMs (Marchen Awakens Romance)
- MECH-Link (Mech-X4)
- Maui's fishhook (Moana)
- Trickster's Glass (League of Legends)
- SCP-342 - A Ticket to Ride (SCP Foundation); limited to transforming into a transit ticket.
- Amulet of Avalor (Sofia the First)
- Shapeshift Remote (Sonic Underground)
- Chameleon's Belt (Spider-Man: The Animated Series)
- Transmogrifier (Spy Kids)
- Moby Morpher (Xiaolin Showdown)
- Munki-Gu statue (PJ Masks)
- Monkey Talisman (Jackie Chan Adventures)
- Transformation Masks (The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask)