- "I have been more animals than many people ever see in a lifetime. I have flown with the wings of an osprey. I've raced through the ocean in the body of a dolphin. I've seen the world through the eyes of an owl at night, and smelled the wind with all the keen senses of a wolf. I've flown upside down and backward in the body of a fly. Sometimes I go out into the far fields at night and become a horse and run through the grass."
- ― Cassie (Animorph)
- "You see, what we're talking about here is an organism that imitates other life forms, and imitates them perfectly. When this Thing attacked our dogs, it tried to digest them. Absorb them. And in the process, shape its own cells to imitate them. This, for instance, that's not dog. It's imitation. We got to it before it had time to finish."
- ― Blair (The Thing)
- "The most accomplished trickster amongst Tzeentch's daemons is the Changeling, the embodiment of the Great Schemer's need to meddle and deceive. The Changeling is possessed of a supernatural ability to assume the shape of any other creature in the universe with unfailing precision. He is the ultimate doppelganger; there is no form that the Changeling cannot duplicate, no mannerism he cannot adopt. From small animals to towering alien monsters, common citizens to Planetary Governors, the Changeling has impersonated them all."
- ― In regard to Changelings (Warhammer 40,000)
- Appearance/Form Alteration
- Shapeshifter Physiology
Users can change their shape, size, color, density, texture, cellular composition, and/or atomic composition to mimic qualities, impersonate entities, amplify abilities, and/or traverse environments. The origins of this power play a significant role in their capabilities and limitations; altering oneself on a cellular, atomic, and/or conceptual level will permit varying degrees of alteration; while methods that defy the laws of reality, such as magic, will most likely keep to their own set of conventions.
Users with greater degrees of control are more than likely capable of using their body by unpredictably functioning as a perpetually reconstructing all-purpose appliance and/or employing near-indomitable deception into their strategies. Assuming the identity of distinguished or unsuspecting subjects allows for easier access to prohibited areas, superior persuasion, and potent espionage, depending upon the user's power and skill to imitate likenesses.
- Adaptive Appearance: Transform based on adaptations.
- Base Form: A form the user spends most of their time in.
- Bilocation Shifting: Shapeshift one’s projected consciousness.
- Biomorphing: Transform into any living thing.
- Camouflage: Change colors to blend with a given environment.
- Feign Damage: Create the appearance of damage on one's body.
- Feign Death: Simulate being dead, potentially by reshaping the body to resemble a corpse.
- Clothing Generation: Take on any clothes of one's personal thoughts and imagination.
- Desire Form: Take the form of others’ greatest desire.
- Doppelgänger Morphing: Take the appearance of other beings.
- Perfect Doppelgänger: Take the powers, capabilities, memories, life-force, and personality of other beings.
- Disguise Mastery: Put on various numbers of disguises.
- Empathic Shapeshifting: Shapeshift in response to one's emotions.
- Environmental Transformation: Transform based on the environment.
- Evolution: Enhance oneself permanently via accelerated evolution.
- Metamorphosis: Evolve naturally and permanently as one ages.
- Eye Color Manipulation: Change one’s own eye color.
- Glowing Eyes: Possess luminescent eyes.
- Gender Transformation: Alter one's gender.
- Malleable Anatomy: Rearrange the physiological features of oneself.
- Matter State Shift: Alter one’s material state.
- Mechanical Morphing: Morph and change by mechanical means.
- Mimicry: Mimic appearance and powers of other beings.
- Multi-Shapeshifting: Take multiple forms at once.
- Narrative Shapeshifting: Morph and change to tell a story or warn of danger.
- Nemesis Form: Take the form of others’ worst fear.
- Power Physiology: Shapeshift into a form of raw power.
- Power-Shifting: Shapeshift to (gain) other powers.
- Object Morphing/Physiology: Transform into any object.
- Object Constructs: Create various kinds of constructs out of objects.
- Reactive Adaptation: Develop adaptation to combat threats or changes.
- Regenerative Healing Factor: Shape one’s own body/cells to their optimal state, heal rapidly from any physical injury, and even maintain eternal youth.
- Reshaping: Altering one's physical shape.
- Species-Shifting: Transform into different species.
- Transformation: Change into more powerful versions of oneself.
- Partial Transformation: Selectively change parts of one's body.
- Vehicle Morphing: Transform into vehicles.
- Voice Manipulation: Change one’s own voice by shapeshifting.
- Artificial Element Shapeshifting: Transform via artificial element composition.
- Digestive Shapeshifting: Transform via ingestion.
- Inorganic Shapeshifting: Transform via inorganic composition.
- Magical Shapeshifting: Transform via magic.
- Metaphoric Shapeshifting: Transform via metaphorical context.
- Mixed Shapeshifting: Shapeshift into a form composed of anatomy from different beings.
- Omnifarious: Alter one's form without limits.
- Organic Shapeshifting: Transform via organic composition.
- Possessive Transformation: Transform the body of whoever the user is possessing.
- Post-Mortem Shapeshifting: Transform via assassination.
- Quintekinetic Shapeshifting: Transform via life-force composition.
- Shapeshifting Inducement: Change the shape of others.
- Soul Shapeshifting: Shapeshift one's soul into that of another.
- Symbiotic Shapeshifting: Transform via symbiotic connection.
- Technokinetic Shapeshifting: Transform via technokinetic composition.
- Technorganic Shapeshifting: Transform via technorganic composition.
- Technomagical Shapeshifting: Transform via techomagical composition.
- Telekinetic Shapeshifting: Transform via Telekinesis.
- Thanatokinetic Shapeshifting: Transform via death-force composition.
- Amorphous Physiology
- Biological Manipulation
- Body Part Switching
- Capability Retention
- Entity Physiology
- Illusion Manipulation
- Mass Manipulation
- Mode Switching
- Organic Manipulation
- Shape Defiance
- Shapeshifting Weaponry
- Structure Manipulation
- Structure Mimicry
- Superior Human Physiology
- Transformation Arts
- Transformation Energy Manipulation
- Users of Shapeshifting Awareness may detect true form.
- Users of Shapeshifting Negation may forcefully revert the user to true form.
- Users of Mind Reading may determine true identity.
- Users may be conditionally limited to serviceable forms due to requirements of tasks and/or locations (impersonation, locomotion, etc.).
- Unconsciousness, excessive pain, and/or death may involuntarily revert the user to original form.
- Users may require visual or genetic sampling to have access to likenesses.
- Users may require complete mental and/or biological incorporation of chosen form to have access to likenesses (memories, powers, etc.).
- Users may be limited to length of time dedicated to transformation.
- Users may be limited to imagination and/or memory.
- Users may be limited to the law of conservation of mass.
- Users may be limited to humanoid shapes (humans, werebeasts, etc.).
- Users may be limited to organic lifeforms (animals, plants, etc.).
- Users may be limited to inorganic forms (objects, materials, etc.).
- Users may be limited to exclusive states of matter (solid, liquid, etc.).
- Users may be limited by density, unable to solidify to the magnitude of other substances.
- Users may be limited to assuming the form of another person or creature sharing similar traits.
- Users may be limited to echoing personalities or applications, those familiarized with the original inevitably mounting suspicion.
- Users may be unable to transform into complex machinery (vehicles, projectile weapons, etc.), limited to rudimentary shapes.
- Users may be unable to transform into distinct chemicals (combustants, conductors, etc.), limited to elements available to their anatomy.
- Users may be unable to change genetic makeup (species, sex, blood type, etc.).
- Users may be unable to adopt physics/biology defying powers of new forms.
- Users may be unable to augment their natural abilities (strength, speed, etc.)
- Users may be unable to thoroughly mimic the abilities of magical creatures, objects, materials, etc.
- Users may retain characteristics of original form in a new shape (i.e., color scheme, markings, voice, smell, etc.).
- Staying in a single form for extended periods may start affecting user behavior.
- Staying in a multitude of forms for extended periods may start affecting the user's access to original form.
- Users may be able to change into predesignated forms, but unable to reshape said form for undesignated purposes.
- The process of changing shape may be painful.
- The process of returning to original form may be difficult.
- Users may involuntarily transform in response to physical and/or mental stimuli.
- Doppelgangers (Dungeons & Dragons)
- Changelings (Dungeons & Dragons)
- Druids (Dungeons & Dragons)
- Creatures with the subtype: ShapeShifter (Magic The Gathering)
- Mages (Mage: The Ascension)
- Izzy (Atlanta 1996)
- The Auditor (Madness Combat)
- PringleTheOne (Planet Dolan)
- Bluehog (Bluehog Gaming Studio)
- The Imposter (SMG4's Mario Bloopers)
- Mister F. Maskeering (Salviamo Loquendo City!)
- Matau (Bionicle); via Mask of Shapeshifting
- Chunt (Hello from the Magic Tavern)
- Josh Davis (Heroes History: Slow Burn)
- Night (Worm); Transforms into an abomination when not seen.
- Thriller (Michael Jackson's Thriller)
- Lah (Sonic: Night of the Werehog)
- Neo Metallix (Sonic the Comic Online)
- Jib Janeen (Sparks Nevada, Marshal on Mars)
- Green Furret (Przygody Zielonego Furreta" Polish Scratch series)
- Wolf-like Nature Spirits and Hybrid Nature Spirits (Nature Wolf Spirits)
- Umbrakinetic Monster-Dragons (Nature Wolf Spirits)
- Solomon (Nature Wolf Spirits)
- Mayhem (Nature Wolf Spirits)
- Baoht (Nature Wolf Spirits)