- "The language of the Mystic Arts is as old as civilization. The sorcerers of antiquity called the use of this language "spells", but if that word offends your modern sensibilities, you can call it a "program"; the source code that shapes reality. We harness energy drawn from other dimensions of the Multiverse to cast spells, to conjure shields and weapons, to make magic."
- ― The Ancient One (Marvel Cinematic Universe)
- "Phasmatos Tribum, Nas Ex Veras, Sequitas Sanguinem."
- ― Locator Spell (The Vampire Diaries/Originals)
- 1 Also Called
- 2 Capabilities
- 3 Applications
- 4 Variations
- 5 Associations
- 6 Limitations
- 7 Known Users
- 8 Gallery
- Casting Magic
- Magic Spell Usage
- Magic Incantation
- Spell Binding
The user can cast spells, which are formulae for producing specific magic effects. Such formulae are often a series of magic words and incantations, but they can also take the form of specific thoughts, gestures, rituals, etc. If the user is powerful or skilled enough they can cast their spells as nonverbal spells which doesn't require them to say the incantations to preform the spell.
Spells take form in a variety of ways; such as offensive spells take the form of abilities like energy rays or pryokinesis, defensive spells take form of abilities like a shield or intangibility, and supportive spells take form of abilities like superhuman strength or Teleportation.
- Any Magical Ability: Depending on the spell casted and the type of magic used.
- Spell Absorption
- Spell Amplification
- Spell Creation
- Spell Destabilization
- Spell Immunity
- Spell Mixture
- Spell Negation
- Spell Reflection
Method of Spell Casting
- Empathic Casting
- Gesture Casting
- Inscription Casting
- Motion Casting
Types of Spells
- Blessings (Good/Helpful Spells)
- Conjurings (Creative/Summoning Spells)
- Curses (Evil/Harmful Spells)
- Divinations (Knowledge Seeking Spells)
- Enchantments (Property Altering/Enhancing Spells or Mind Control Spells; Varies on Magic System)
- Nature (Combative/Element Manipulating Spells)
- Illusions (Hallucinative/Deceptive Spells)
- Transmutations (Material/Being Conversion Spells)
- May need to perform certain actions/fulfill conditions to use magic, ranging from specific words/songs, inscription/incantation, certain hand/body moves, materials that may be consumed or even extensive rituals.
- Incorrect pronunciation and word choice of a spell may have negative effects (such as the spell being thrown back at the user, or producing a different effect than expected).
- May need to use special artifacts such as spell books, herbs, and talismans.
- May be limited on how many spells they can cast.
- May require concentration to work.
- Certain spells may only work for as long as the caster is alive.
- Certain spells may be limited to a specific group of spell casters.
- Certain spells may have a negative effect on nature and require a balance to the universe. For instance, if one person is brought back to life, another will die in the process.
- More powerful spells may require more magical power (e.g, mana) and training to work.
- Untrained novices can easily misuse a spell creating unpredictable results.
- Some spells may taint the user's soul and turn them down the path of evil/good, and therefore are best left unknown.
- Some spells may simply need to be spoken in reverse to be negated.
- Overuse may lead to physical and/or mental damage, temporary/permanent loss of magic or death.
- Useless against people with Spell Negation and Spell Immunity.