- "Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
- Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
- But will they come when you do call for them?"
- ― William Shakespeare, Henry IV Part 1
- "Millions of spiritual creatures walk the earth
- Unseen, both when we wake, and when we sleep."
- ― John Milton, Paradise Lost (1667; 1674), Book IV, line 678.
The power to use the abilities of spirits. Variation of Mythic Physiology.
- Spectre Form/Mimicry/Physiology
- Spirit Form/Mimicry
- Soul/Spectral/Spiritual Physiology
User with this ability either is or can transform into a spirit: a supernatural and conscious (although may not be necessarily sentient) being that in its normal state is incorporeal, invisible, and immaterial. Many spirits are able to materialize either by shifting into a more solid form or by taking a vessel to give them physical shape, which can be done either by possessing an already existing form (either a living being or an object) or by animating and wrapping part of the environment "around" them.
There are several types of spirits, ranging from the souls of the dead (ghosts) to the spirits of places, objects, concepts, and/or elements. Several forms of magic center around contacting and bargaining with spirits.
- Energy Independence
- Adaptive Possession
- Astral Manipulation
- Astral Trapping
- Death Inducement
- Decelerated Aging, Semi-Immortality or Immortality
- Disease Manipulation
- Dream Walking
- Ectoplasm Manipulation
- Ghost-Light Manipulation
- Illusion Manipulation
- Malleable Anatomy
- Mental Inducement
- Phantasm Manipulation
- Portal Manipulation
- Soul Manipulation
- Ultimate Intangibility
Types of Spirit
Ghost Physiology: spirits/souls of the dead, often bound to stay until certain conditions are met. This can vary from honorable burial, unfinished business/revenge, or self-appointed duties. Ancestral spirits are part of this group, given their involvement/ties with their families.
- Banshee Physiology
- Baykok Physiology: Flight, Enhanced Archery, Paralysis Inducement
- Emere Physiology
- Ghost Lord Physiology
- Mutated Ghost Physiology
- Poltergeist Physiology
- Revenant Physiology
- Superior Ghost Physiology
- Transcendent Ghost Physiology
- Wraith Physiology
Nature Spirit Physiology: manifestations/embodiments of natural phenomena, places, elements or animals.
- Spiritual Animal Physiology: spirits that take the form of animals or the ghosts of deceased creatures.
- Animal Spirits/Totems: spirits connected to either certain species (cats, hawks), family (felines, raptors) or class (mammals, birds)
- Elemental Spirit Physiology: spirits of certain elements.
- Genius Loci Physiology: spirits of places, either natural areas or places that could include cities or buildings, etc.
- Tsukumogami Physiology: spirits of various objects and a lesser form of the Genius Loci.
- Ancestral Evocation
- Astral Projection
- Daimon Physiology
- Ethereal Physiology
- Fairy Physiology
- Genie Physiology
- Half-Spirit Physiology
- Spiritual Energy Physiology
- Spiritual Machine Physiology
- Spiritual Symbiosis
- Transcendent Spirit Physiology
- Certain forms of magic and/or technology may allow their users to control and/or imprison spirits.
- May be vulnerable to any abilities that affect spirits such as a Spirit Barrier or Exorcism.
- Susceptible to Soul Destruction, Soul Mutilation, Nonexistence, Absolute Destruction, and other abilities that may harm or destroy souls/spirits.
- The soul is in fact one's true being, while on the other hand, the organic body (for example the Human body) acts like a bio-suit for the soul to fit into and to control. In analogy terms, this is reminiscent of driving a robotic mech, but only the spirit is taking control of the body.
See Also: Our Spirits Are Different.