- "Do not call up that which you cannot put down."
- ― H.P. Lovecraft: The Case of Charles Dexter Ward
- "Do not call up that which you cannot put on hold."
- ― Greg Hill and Kerry Wendell Thornley: Principia Discordia
The user can transport person, creature, or object of choice by means of Teleportation, Dimensional Travel, Portal Creation or some other way. This may also result from a previous summoning contract, which creates a connection between the summon and summoner.
High level users may not be bound by restrictions such as a contract and can summon anything they want, including powerful beings or "familiar spirits" and often require strong mystic connections to where these entities reside. Users can call upon fairies, angels, demons, or animal spirits, just to name a few.
The summoning can backfire, however, leading to any number of misfortunes, such as the summoned person, creature, or item causing harm to the summoner.
- Alternate Matter Materialization - Ability to summon matter from alternate universes and possible futures/timelines.
- Animal Emerging - Ability to summon animals from user's body.
- Door Projection/Portal Creation - Ability to summon portals and gateways.
- Elemental Generation - Ability to summon elements.
- Living Factory - Ability to summon weapons, equipment and other tools from ones body.
- Materialized Guardian - Ability to summon a Guardian.
- Meteor Summoning - Ability to summon astrological rocks from outer space.
- Object Creation - Ability to summon objects from nothing.
- Over Run! - Ability to summon an army.
- Remote Teleportation - Summon anyone and anything by teleporting them remotely.
- Remote Time Travel - Summon anyone or anything from either the past or the future.
- Snake Den - Ability to summon snakes to attack.
- Soul Summoning - Ability to summon souls from beyond the grave.
- Spatial Displacement - Ability to summon an entire environment to the battlefield.
- Summon Bestowal - Ability to give powers to summons.
- Summon Energy Manipulation - Ability to manipulate the energies of summons.
- Summon Infusion - Ability to infuse any object with summoning capabilities.
- Summoning Combat - Ability to combine summoning power with physical combat skill.
- Summoning Empowerment - Ability to be empowered by summons.
- Summoning Mimicry - Ability to borrow power/appearance of summons.
- Weapon Summoning - Ability to summon weapons.
- Living Power Plant - Ability to summon generate and store energy.
- Angel Summoning - Summon Angels.
- Conjuration - Summon using spells.
- Demon Summoning - Summon Demons.
- Dimensional Summoning - Summon things from other dimensions.
- Dragon Summoning - Summon Dragons
- Empathic Summoning - Summon empathic entities.
- Fictional Summoning - Summon any entity/object from fiction.
- God Summoning - Summon Deities.
- Image Summon - Summon entities from art and/or media.
- Jewel Summoning - Summon entities using magical jewels as a medium.
- Meta Summoning - Summon anything/everything.
- Mind Summoning - Summon anything from the mind.
- Name Evocation - Summon entities via their name.
- Summon Weaponry - Wield or create weapons with summoning power/capability.
- Summoning Manipulation - Manipulate summoning powers, entities or other party's abilities.
- Undead Summoning - Summon undead.
- Zodiac Summoning - Summon zodiac signs.
- Banishment - very important, not being able to get rid of a summon has been the downfall of many users.
- Contract Bestowal - some live summons may require a contract to bring towards the summoner.
- Energy Circle Combat - some summons require a magic circle/symbol to bring forth the target.
- Meta Teleportation
- Space-Time Manipulation - summoning usually involves transporting target through the space-time continuum.
- Summon Symbiosis - acquire powers by symbiotically linking to summoned being.
- Usually temporary.
- Summoned creatures may have to find their own way back, which is likely to cause problems.
- Summoning immensely large/heavy or powerful targets may take a mental toll on the user.
- Summoning may not grant control over the summoned being.
- Summoned entities may become uncontrollable and put the summoner and everyone else in the vicinity in danger.
- May require a contract to summon specific entities.
- May require the approval of the entity if they are sentient.
- Summoning certain entities may require a sacrifice, such as blood, wealth or life.
- Certain symbols, carvings and/or rituals may be needed to summon.
- May require knowledge of what is to be summoned to actually summon it.
- Certain temporal/spacial limitations/restrictions may prevent/complicate summoning.