- "Your mind, to me, is an open book: full of big print and lots of pictures!"
- ― Maldis, Farscape
- "Secrets? What secrets?"
- ― Magic: The Gathering, Telepathy
- "Do not be startled, child. My voice is in your mind, not in your ear. Verbal communication is so limited. You will find that telepathy is purity."
- ― Mage: The Ascension - Core Rulebook (1st edition)
The power to mentally receive and/or transmit information. Users of this power are often called Telepaths or Mind Readers.
- Mental Surfing
- Mind Induction
- Psyche Probe
User can read/sense another person's thoughts, communicate with them mentally or affect their minds/thoughts. Telepathy falls into two categories; Telepathic Communication, which is the ability to transmit information from one mind to another and Telepathic Perception, which is the ability to receive information from another mind.
Similar to "Telekinesis", "Telepathy" is an umbrella term for any ability that involves projecting, reading and manipulating thoughts.
- Mind Reading/Thought Detection: The ability to read/sense the thoughts of others.
- Visual Mind Reading: The ability to see the thoughts of others.
- Psychic Communication: The ability to open up secret conversations and relay covert information.
- Empathy: The ability to interpret the emotions of others.
- Telepathic Speaking: The ability to speak aloud using only the mind.
- Binding: The ability to restrict the movements of others via the mind.
- Download: The ability to quickly process, store, or download information through another's mind.
- Dream Walking: The ability to enter people's dreams.
- Emotion Manipulation: The ability to make one feel pleased, happy, pained, or any other emotion.
- Knowledge Projection: The ability to project knowledge into another mind.
- Telepathic Language Instruction: The ability to teach languages telepathically.
- Knowledge Replication: The ability to replicate the learned knowledge and skills of others.
- Memory Reading: The ability to read the target's memories.
- Mental Hallucination: The ability to cause mental hallucinations.
- Telepathic Invisibility: The ability to become invisible via telepathy.
- Mental Inducement: The ability to temporarily push the targets mind into the wanted state.
- Mind Control: The ability to manipulate the minds of other via thought process.
- Mind Image: The ability to project one's image to the mind of another.
- Mind Link: The ability to develop a permanent mental bond with any person, also called imprinting.
- Mind Melding: The ability to fuse one's consciousness with another.
- Mind Walking: The ability to enter the mind of another.
- Omnilingualism: The ability to intuitively understand all languages.
- Telepathic Translation: The ability to translate all languages.
- Psionic Inundation: The ability to launch psi-bolts to cause mental damage.
- Psychic Inhibitors: The ability to place inhibitors in the mind to limit the target's capabilities.
- Psychic Navigation: The ability to create a mental map of the area.
- Psychic Shadow: The ability to mask psychic presence, hiding from other psychics.
- Psychic Shield: The ability to erect a psychic shield to protect the minds of oneself and/or others.
- Psychic Torture: The ability to torture victims mentally and spiritually.
- Pushing: The ability to implant memories, thoughts, and emotions into others.
- Sensory Scrying: The ability to perceive through the senses of other beings.
- Speaking Inducement: The ability to make others say whatever one wants.
- Telepathic Aura: The ability to project telepathic field.
- Telepathic Hijacking: The ability to hijack telepathic communication.
- Telepathic Language Instruction: The ability to project language information to others to communicate.
- Telepathic Prediction: The ability to know an opponent's moves and attacks by reading their brain waves.
- Telepathic Relay: The ability to act as a mental relay station for a group of minds, allowing said minds to "speak" to one another through the user.
- Thought Manifestation: The ability to make one's thoughts visible to all.
- Thought Manipulation: The ability to control the thoughts of others.
- Clairtelepathy: The ability to detect mental resonances from other locations and times.
- Consciousness Transferal: The ability to transfer one's mind to a new body.
- Darkside View: The ability to communicate with and bring out the dark side of a person's personality.
- Lightside View: The ability to communicate with and bring out the good side of a person's personality.
- Memory Manipulation: The ability to erase, restore and alter the target's memories.
- Mental Manipulation: The ability to manipulate functions of the mind.
- Mind Exchange: The ability to transfer one's mind into another's body, taking control of that body.
- Possession: The ability to inhabit the body of a living being.
- Projective Omnilingualism: The ability to emit a field that translates every spoken language.
- Psychic Energy Manipulation: The ability to produce and manipulate mental energy.
- Psychic Constructs: The ability to generate constructs out of mental energy.
- Psychic Wave Manipulation: The ability to generate and manipulate thought waves.
- Psychosomatic Illusion: The ability to create powerful illusions that may cause severe physical damage.
- Remote Telepathy: The ability to use telepathy from a long range.
- Subconscious Manipulation: The ability to manipulate the subconscious.
- Subliminal Messaging: The ability to implant thoughts/ideas into the subconscious
- Telepathic Surgery: The ability to perform neuropsychic surgery, healing and/or damaging the mind.
- Telepathic Dilation: The power to water down the abilities of others by blocking neurological signals.
- Cosmic Telepathy: The ability to read the thoughts of billions or more subjects at once.
- Mental Projection: The ability to project thoughts into reality.
- Neural Jumpstart: The power to augment another's abilities by accelerating neuronal activity.
- Mindscape Transportation: The ability to transport physical matter into one's conscious or subconscious thoughts.
- Omni-Empathy: The ability to interpret the emotions of billions or more subjects at once.
- Mindscape Materialization: The ability to will ones thoughts and their inner world into reality.
- Omni-Telepathy: The ability to read, sense, communicate with, and control an infinite number of minds across all universes, planes and dimensions.
- Unimind: The ability be connected with all things and their essences.
- Telepathic Combat: The ability to use telepathy in physical combat.
- Telepathic Intelligence: The ability to heighten ones intelligence using telepathy.
- Animal Telepathy
- Electrical Telepathy
- Energy Telepathy
- Genetic Telepathy
- Magical Telepathy
- Spiritual Telepathy
- Technological Telepathy
- Telepathic Dream Creation
- Telepathic Force Manipulation
- Temporal Telepathy
- Dream Manipulation
- Mental Shield Penetration
- Psychological Intuition
- Telepathic Mimicry
- Does not work on mindless beings (corpses, animated objects, robots, etc.).
- Users of Psychic Shield (highly resistant) and Psychic Immunity (impervious).
- The more intense the thought, the louder it sounds to the user.
- May be limited to a certain range to work, including touch only.
- May be limited to certain number of targets at a time.
- May be constantly active and have to constantly hear thoughts.
- Since the user constantly hears thoughts, this power becomes ineffective in large crowds.
- May be limited to the thought(s) which the target is currently thinking.
- May be limited to reading either thoughts or memories.
- May not be able to read impulsive actions.
- May get overwhelmed by too many thoughts, especially the ones which are too complicated (e.g. a genius' mind which is doing calculus), detailed (e.g. an artist's or photographer's mind which has a photographic memory), insane/morally corrupted (e.g. "murder is good", "I will create my idea of the perfect world by genocide", etc.), and/or ones which don't make any sense (e.g. "2+2=5", "a square circle", etc.).
- Users of Divided Mind may be especially complicated because of so many conflictual thoughts in one mind.
- Depending upon the user's ability, skill, and tolerance, attempting to read certain minds (e.g. genius or the insane) may be hard, impossible, or not a good idea.
- Unless one is multilingual or has the automatic ability to translate and/or decrypt, the ability may not work if the target is thinking in alternate languages or encrypted codes.
- May risk detection, losing themselves, and/or being "hacked" themselves.
- May need focus all their attention on the task, thereby leaving their physical body and/or mind vulnerable.
- May be susceptible to the pain/injury as the person with whom they are communicating.
- Goruda Brain Tonic (Doctor Who)
- Mind Gem (Marvel Comics)
- SCP-484 - Memory Stealing Drug (SCP Foundation)
- Mind Reader Conch (Xiaolin Showdown)