- "Your mind, to me, is an open book: full of big print and lots of pictures!"
- ― Maldis, Farscape
- "Secrets? What secrets?"
- ― Magic: The Gathering, Telepathy
- "Do not be startled, child. My voice is in your mind, not in your ear. Verbal communication is so limited. You will find that telepathy is purity."
- ― Mage: The Ascension - Core Rulebook (1st edition)
The power to receive and/or transmit information mentally or through other non-sensory means. Users of this power are often called Telepaths or Mind Readers.
- 1 Also Called
- 2 Capabilities
- 3 Applications
- 4 Techniques
- 5 Variations
- 6 Levels
- 7 Associations
- 8 Limitations
- 9 Known Users
- 10 Known Objects
- 11 Gallery
- Mental Surfing
- Mind Induction
- Psyche Probe
- Telepath Physiology
User can read/sense another person's thoughts, communicate with them mentally or affect, and otherwise interact with their minds/consciousness/thoughts without the aid of physical communication (noise or movement). Telepathy has three common abilities or categories; Telepathic Communication, which is the ability to transmit information from one mind to another, Telepathic Perception, which is the ability to receive information from another mind knowing an opponent’s moves and attacks, and Telepathic Manipulation, which is the ability to affect/influence/control/manipulate the minds of others. The most advanced telepaths are not only capable of interacting with the minds or spirits of others, but with reality itself in various ways, tapping into psychic/astral energies, extending their senses and even their very consciousness from their bodies and project their power into the physical plane.
Similar to "Telekinesis", "Telepathy" is an umbrella term for any ability that involves projecting, reading and manipulating thoughts.
- Mind Reading/Thought Detection: The ability to read/sense the thoughts of others.
- Psychic Communication: The ability to open up secret conversations and relay covert information.
- Empathy: The ability to interpret the emotions of others.
- Telepathic Speaking: The ability to speak aloud using only the mind.
- Binding: The ability to restrict the movements of others via the mind.
- Download: The ability to quickly process, store, or download information through another's mind.
- Information Transfer: Transfer information.
- Dream Walking: The ability to enter people's dreams.
- Emotion Manipulation: The ability to make one feel pleased, happy, pained, or any other emotion.
- Knowledge Absorption: The ability to steal knowledge.
- Knowledge Erasure: The ability to erase knowledge.
- Knowledge Projection: The ability to project knowledge into another mind.
- Knowledge Recovery: The ability to recover knowledge.
- Knowledge Replication: The ability to replicate the learned knowledge and skills of others.
- Mental Hallucination: The ability to cause mental hallucinations.
- Telepathic Invisibility: The ability to become invisible via telepathy.
- Mental Inducement: The ability to temporarily push the targets mind into the wanted state.
- Mind Control: The ability to manipulate the minds of other via thought process.
- Mind Image: The ability to project one's image to the mind of another.
- Mind Link: The ability to develop a permanent mental bond with any person, also called imprinting.
- Mind Melding: The ability to fuse one's consciousness with another.
- Mind Walking: The ability to enter the mind of another.
- Omnilingualism: The ability to intuitively understand all languages.
- Telepathic Translation: The ability to translate all languages.
- Psionic Inundation: The ability to launch psi-bolts to cause mental damage.
- Psychic Inhibitors: The ability to place inhibitors in the mind to limit the target's capabilities.
- Psychic Navigation: The ability to create a mental map of the area.
- Psychic Shadow: The ability to mask psychic presence, hiding from other psychics.
- Psychic Shield: The ability to erect a psychic shield to protect the minds of oneself and/or others.
- Psychic Torture: The ability to torture victims mentally and spiritually.
- Pushing: The ability to implant memories, thoughts, and emotions into others.
- Sensory Scrying: The ability to perceive through the senses of other beings.
- Speaking Inducement: The ability to make others say whatever one wants.
- Telepathic Aura: The ability to project telepathic field.
- Telepathic Hijacking: The ability to hijack telepathic communication.
- Telepathic Language Instruction: The ability to project language information to others to communicate.
- Telepathic Prediction: The ability to know an opponent's moves and attacks by reading their brain waves.
- Telepathic Relay: The ability to act as a mental relay station for a group of minds, allowing said minds to "speak" to one another through the user.
- Thought Manifestation: The ability to make one's thoughts visible to all.
- Thought Manipulation: The ability to control the thoughts of others.
- Clairtelepathy: The ability to detect mental resonances from other locations and times.
- Clairempathy: The ability to detect emotional resonances from other locations and times.
- Consciousness Transferal: The ability to transfer one's mind to a new body.
- Darkside View: The ability to communicate with and bring out the dark side of a person's personality.
- Lightside View: The ability to communicate with and bring out the good side of a person's personality.
- Memory Manipulation: The ability to erase, restore and alter the target's memories.
- Mental Manipulation: The ability to manipulate functions of the mind.
- Mind Exchange: The ability to transfer one's mind into another's body, taking control of that body.
- Possession: The ability to project one's mind into the body of a living being to inhabit and control them.
- Projective Omnilingualism: The ability to emit a field that translates every spoken language.
- Psychic Energy Manipulation: The ability to produce and manipulate mental energy.
- Psychic Constructs: The ability to generate constructs out of mental energy.
- Psychic Wave Manipulation: The ability to generate and manipulate thought waves.
- Psychosomatic Illusion: The ability to create powerful illusions that may cause severe physical damage.
- Remote Telepathy: The ability to use telepathy from a long range.
- Subconscious Manipulation: The ability to manipulate the subconscious.
- Subliminal Messaging: The ability to implant thoughts/ideas into the subconscious.
- Telepathic Dilation: The power to water down the abilities of others by blocking neurological signals.
- Telepathic Surgery: The ability to perform neuropsychic surgery, healing and/or damaging the mind.
- Cosmic Empathy: The ability to interpret the emotions of billions or more subjects at once.
- Cosmic Telepathy: The ability to read the thoughts of billions or more subjects at once.
- Mental Projection: The ability to project thoughts into reality.
- Mindscape Transportation: The ability to transport physical matter into one's conscious or subconscious thoughts.
- Neural Jumpstart: The power to augment another's abilities by accelerating neuronal activity.
- Mindscape Materialization: The ability to will one's thoughts and their inner world into reality.
- Omni-Empathy: The ability to sense and feel an infinite number of emotions across all universes, planes and dimensions.
- Omni-Telepathy: The ability to read, sense, communicate with, and control an infinite number of minds across all universes, planes and dimensions.
- Unimind: The ability to be connected with all things and their essences.
- Telepathic Bomb: The ability to shatter minds on a massive scale.
- Telepathic Combat: The ability to use telepathy in physical combat.
- Telepathic Intelligence: The ability to heighten one's intelligence using telepathy.
- Mental Mimicry: Mimic aspects from the minds of others.
- Experience Mimicry: Mimic the experience of others.
- Animal Telepathy
- Ballistic Telepathy
- Electrical Telepathy
- Energy Telepathy
- Genetic Telepathy
- Magical Telepathy
- Spiritual Telepathy
- Tactile Telepathy
- Technological Telepathy
- Telepathic Dream Creation
- Telepathic Force Manipulation
- Temporal Telepathy
- Basic Level: User can sense minds from feet/meters away. They can sense consciously generated thoughts.
- Advanced Level: User is able to sense minds from a community scale. The user can sense subconscious memories and thoughts.
- Expert Level: The user is able to sense minds from kilometers to a continental scale. They can manipulate the thoughts and feelings of every individual within such a distance.
- Master Level: User is able to sense minds on a planetary scale, every being across a planet and even nearby worlds. They can manipulate the functions of the mind.
- Ultimate Level: They can sense minds on a galactic level. The user can manipulate the body, mind, and everything related to them.
- Absolute Level: User can sense minds on a universal scale or even beyond. They can manipulate everything that makes up their individuality.
- Astral Manipulation - many stronger telepaths derive power from the plane to bolster themselves.
- Dream Manipulation
- Mental Shield Penetration
- Psychological Intuition
- Telepathic Mimicry
- Does not work on mindless beings (corpses, animated objects, robots, etc.).
- Users of Psychic Shield (highly resistant) and Psychic Immunity (impervious).
- The more intense the thought, the louder it sounds to the user.
- May be limited to a certain range to work, including touch only.
- May be limited to a certain number of targets at a time.
- May be constantly active and have to constantly hear thoughts.
- Since the user constantly hears thoughts, this power becomes ineffective in large crowds.
- May be limited to the thought(s) which the target is currently thinking.
- May be limited to reading either thoughts or memories.
- May not be able to read impulsive actions.
- May get overwhelmed by too many thoughts, especially the ones which are too complicated (e.g. a genius' mind which is doing calculus), detailed (e.g. an artist's or photographer's mind which has a photographic memory), insane/morally corrupted (e.g. "murder is good", "I will create my idea of the perfect world by genocide", etc.), and/or ones which don't make any sense (e.g. "2+2=5", "a square circle", etc.).
- Users of Divided Mind may be especially complicated because of so many conflictual thoughts in one mind.
- Depending upon the user's ability, skill, and tolerance, attempting to read certain minds (e.g. genius or the insane) may be hard, impossible, or not a good idea.
- Unless one is multilingual or has the automatic ability to translate and/or decrypt, the ability may not work if the target is thinking in alternate languages or encrypted codes.
- May risk detection, losing themselves, and/or being "hacked" themselves.
- May need focus all their attention on the task, thereby leaving their physical body and/or mind vulnerable.
- May be susceptible to the pain/injury as the person with whom they are communicating.
- Requires concentration.
- If someone is singing a tune in their mind, the user will have a hard concentrating.
- If someone is aware of this, they will think of something else.
- Goruda Brain Tonic (Doctor Who)
- Mind Gem (Marvel Comics)
- SCP-484 - Memory Stealing Drug (SCP Foundation)
- Mind Reader Conch (Xiaolin Showdown)
- Metebelis crystal (Doctor Who)