- "Your mind, to me, is an open book: full of big print and lots of pictures!"
- ― Maldis, Farscape
- "Secrets? What secrets?"
- ― Magic: The Gathering, Telepathy
- "Do not be startled, child. My voice is in your mind, not in your ear. Verbal communication is so limited. You will find that telepathy is purity."
- ― Mage: The Ascension - Core Rulebook (1st edition)
- 1 Also Called
- 2 Capabilities
- 3 Applications
- 4 Techniques
- 5 Variations
- 6 Levels
- 7 Associations
- 8 Limitations
- 9 Known Users
- 10 Known Objects
- 11 Gallery
- Legilimency (Wizarding World)
- Mental Interaction
- Mental Surfing
- Mind Induction
- Psyche Probe
Users can mentally interact with the mind, consciousness, and thoughts of themselves or others through mental power/capacity, thus being able to read/sense another person's thoughts, communicate with them mentally, and a plethora of other capabilities without the aid of physical communication (noise or movement).
Telepathy has three common categories; Psychic Communication, which is the ability to transmit information from one mind to another, Psychic Perception, which is the ability to receive information with one’s mind, and Mind Manipulation, which is the ability to influence the minds of others to varying degrees. The most advanced telepaths are not only capable of interacting with the minds or spirits of others, but with reality itself in various ways, tapping into psychic/astral energies, extending their senses/perception and even their very consciousness beyond the limits of their bodies, and potentially even projecting their power into the physical plane.
Similar to "Telekinesis", "Telepathy" is an umbrella term for any ability that involves projecting, reading and manipulating thoughts or affecting/interacting with other aspects of the mind.
- Mind Reading/Thought Detection: The ability to read/sense the thoughts of others.
- Psychic Communication: The ability to open up secret conversations and relay covert information.
- Telepathic Speaking: The ability to speak aloud using only the mind.
- Empathy: The ability to interpret the emotions of others.
- Binding: The ability to restrict the movements of others via the mind.
- Information Transferal: Transfer information.
- Dream Walking: The ability to enter the dreams of another.
- Emotion Manipulation: The ability to make one feel pleased, happy, pained, or any other emotion.
- Hypnosis: The ability to induce haze like states in others that make them more suggestable to action.
- Knowledge Erasure: The ability to erase knowledge.
- Knowledge Projection: The ability to project knowledge into another mind.
- Knowledge Recovery: The ability to recover knowledge.
- Knowledge Replication: The ability to replicate the learned knowledge and skills of others.
- Mental Hallucination: The ability to cause hallucinations.
- Telepathic Invisibility: The ability to become invisible via telepathy.
- Mental Inducement: The ability to temporarily push the targets mind into the wanted state.
- Command Inducement: The ability to temporarily command a target.
- Mind Control: The ability to manipulate the minds of other via thought process.
- Control Negation: The ability to negate mind control on themselves or others.
- Mind Image: The ability to project one's image to the mind of another.
- Mind Link: The ability to develop a permanent mental bond with any person, also called imprinting.
- Mind Melding: The ability to fuse one's consciousness with another.
- Mind Walking: The ability to enter the mind of another.
- Omnilingualism: The ability to intuitively understand all languages.
- Sensory Inducement: The ability to cause the target to experience certain sensory effects.
- Telepathic Translation: The ability to translate all languages.
- Psionic Inundation: The ability to launch psi-bolts to cause mental damage.
- Psychic Falsification: The ability to create false psychic phenomena.
- Psychic Shadow: The ability to mask psychic presence, hiding from other psychics.
- Psychic Inhibitors: The ability to place inhibitors in the mind to limit the target's capabilities.
- Psychic Navigation: The ability to create a mental map of the area.
- Psychic Shield: The ability to erect a psychic shield to protect the minds of oneself and/or others.
- Psychic Torture: The ability to torture victims mentally and spiritually.
- Pushing: The ability to implant memories, thoughts, and emotions into others.
- Sensory Scrying: The ability to perceive through the senses of other beings.
- Action Inducement: The ability to make others do whatever one wants.
- Speaking Inducement: The ability to make others say whatever one wants.
- Telepathic Aura: The ability to project telepathic field.
- Telepathic Hijacking: The ability to hijack telepathic communication.
- Telepathic Illusion Casting: The ability to create illusions via telepathic manipulation.
- Telepathic Language Instruction: The ability to project language information to others to communicate.
- Telepathic Prediction: The ability to know an opponent's moves and attacks by reading their brain waves.
- Telepathic Relay: The ability to act as a mental relay station for a group of minds, allowing said minds to "speak" to one another through the user.
- Thought Manifestation: The ability to make one's thoughts visible to all.
- Thought Manipulation: The ability to control the thoughts of others.
- Astral Manipulation: The ability to manipulate astral energy.
- Astral Projection: The ability to separate their mind and travel to the astral plane.
- Extrasensory Perception: The ability acquire information by means other than the ordinary senses.
- Clairtelepathy: The ability to detect mental resonances from other locations and times.
- Clairempathy: The ability to detect emotional resonances from other locations and times.
- Consciousness Transferal: The ability to transfer the mind’s of oneself or others between bodies.
- Darkside View: The ability to communicate with and bring out the dark side of a person's personality.
- Dream Manipulation: The ability to manipulate dreams.
- Lightside View: The ability to communicate with and bring out the good side of a person's personality.
- Mind Exchange: The ability to transfer one's mind into another's body, taking control of that body.
- Mind Manipulation: The ability to manipulate functions of the mind.
- Mental Shield Creation: The ability to create mental shields in themselves or others to protect them of psychic attacks.
- Mental Shield Penetration: The ability to bypass or penetrate a mental shield.
- Possession: The ability to project one's mind into the body of a living being to inhabit and control them.
- Projective Omnilingualism: The ability to emit a field that translates every spoken language.
- Psychic Energy Manipulation: The ability to produce and manipulate mental energy.
- Psychic Constructs: The ability to generate constructs out of mental energy.
- Psychic Wave Manipulation: The ability to generate and manipulate thought waves.
- Psychic Perception: The ability to perceive various forms of psychic phenomena.
- Psychosomatic Illusion: The ability to create powerful illusions that may cause severe physical damage.
- Remote Telepathy: The ability to use telepathy from a long range.
- Subconscious Manipulation: The ability to manipulate the subconscious.
- Subliminal Messaging: The ability to implant thoughts/ideas into the subconscious.
- Telepathic Dilation: The power to water down the abilities of others by blocking neurological signals.
- Telepathic Surgery: The ability to perform neuropsychic surgery, healing and/or damaging the mind.
- Cosmic Empathy: The ability to interpret the emotions of billions or more subjects at once.
- Cosmic Telepathy: The ability to read the thoughts of billions or more subjects at once.
- Mental Projection: The ability to project thoughts into reality.
- Mindscape Transportation: The ability to transport physical matter into one's conscious or subconscious thoughts.
- Neural Jumpstart: The power to augment another's abilities by accelerating neuronal activity.
- Mindscape Materialization: The ability to will one's thoughts and their inner world into reality.
- Omni-Empathy: The ability to sense and feel an infinite number of emotions across all universes, planes and dimensions.
- Omni-Telepathy: The ability to read, sense, communicate with, and control an infinite number of minds across all universes, planes and dimensions.
- Unimind: The ability to be connected with all things and their essences.
- Animal Telepathy
- Ballistic Telepathy
- Chi Telepathy
- Electrical Telepathy
- Energy Telepathy
- Genetic Telepathy
- Magical Telepathy
- Spiritual Telepathy
- Tactile Telepathy
- Technological Telepathy
- Telepathic Dream Creation
- Telepathic Illusion Casting
- Telepathic Force Manipulation
- Telepathy Manipulation
- Temporal Telepathy
- Twin Telepathy
- Basic Level: User can sense minds from feet/meters away. They can sense consciously generated thoughts.
- Advanced Level: User is able to sense minds from a community scale. The user can sense subconscious memories and thoughts.
- Expert Level: The user is able to sense minds from kilometers to a continental scale. They can manipulate the thoughts and feelings of every individual within such a distance.
- Master Level: User is able to sense minds on a planetary scale, every being across a planet and even nearby worlds. They can manipulate the functions of the mind.
- Ultimate Level: They can sense minds on a galactic level. The user can manipulate the body, mind, and everything related to them.
- Absolute Level: User can sense minds on a universal scale or even beyond. They can manipulate everything that makes up an individual.
- Astral Manipulation - many stronger Telepaths derive power from the plane to bolster themselves.
- Extrasensory Perception
- Higher Consciousness
- Intuitive Aptitude
- Mental Shield Penetration
- Spiritual Meditation- clearing your mental barriers and negative thoughts can help you read the thoughts of others
- Telepathic Mimicry
- Does not work on mindless beings (such as corpses, animated objects, robots, etc.).
- Cannot work on users of Psychic Shield (highly resistant), Psychic Immunity (impervious) or Indomitable Will.
- May be limited to a certain range to work, including touch only.
- May be limited to a certain number of targets at a time.
- May be constantly active and have to constantly hear thoughts.
- Since the user constantly hears thoughts, this power becomes ineffective in large crowds.
- May get overwhelmed by too many thoughts.
- May be limited to the thought(s) which the target is currently thinking.
- May be limited to reading either thoughts or memories.
- May not be able to read impulsive actions.
- Users of Divided Mind may be hard to process due to multiple patterns of mind.
- Some minds may be overwhelming to the user.
- May not understand informations perceived.
- May be hijacked and/or overpowered by higher users.
- May require concentration.
- Goruda Brain Tonic (Doctor Who)
- Mind Gem (Marvel Comics)
- SCP-035 - The Possessive Mask (SCP Foundation)
- SCP-294 - The Coffee Machine (SCP Foundation)
- SCP-484 - Memory Stealing Drug (SCP Foundation)
- Mind Reader Conch (Xiaolin Showdown)
- Metebelis crystal (Doctor Who)
- Dracas Ruby (Heirs of the NIght)