Telepathy is the ability to read the thoughts of, and/or to mentally communicate with others.
The ability falls into two categories, "Telepathic Communication" and "Telepathic Perception." Telepathy is the ability to transfer information from one mind to another and to read mind and thoughts to humans and animals without the aid of physical communication (noise or movement). However, this ability cannot affect change or alter another's thoughts, only communication with or without the others knowledge. Not to be confused with the higher level Mental Manipulation
Telepaths are generally meddlers, for good, or ill, intent. When one has the power to enter another's mind, and imprint suggestions into another's psyche, the Telepath typically can't help but feel the need to do so, for whatever the user may find a decent reason.
Usually, they're used to being on top of everything, having insider intel on virtually anything, depending on who's around the user. When the occasion comes that they can't use their power, Telepaths have the likelyhood to freak out more so than other superpowers.
Some are cruel masters, collecting human slaves that can no longer think for themselves, while others are noble individuals that have strict principles on the abuse of power and act as mentors to many less fortunate peoples.
• Combat Telepathy, also called a Combat Mind is a version of Telepathy in which the user can still psychically hear the thoughts of others, but only thoughts of attack. One with this ability may hear thoughts during the battle, as surface thoughts (the telepathic version of a Danger Sense), or they may come ahead of time (or provoked by detection of hostile thoughts), accompanied by a feeling of when the attack will come. This ability is usually accompanied by Superhuman Reflexes, but may also be accompanied by Chronopathy.
• This also initiates the reading of the foe’s inner thoughts (one can reveal these thoughts to unnerve the opponent) or it may allow the user to telepathically suggest (and thus predict) a foe’s moves.
• Empathic Telepathy is the ability to perceive thoughts, but only of those who share one’s emotions. One with this ability can attune themselves to happy thoughts, sad thoughts, angry thoughts, jealous thoughts, confused thoughts or the like; as long as the thoughts pertain to an emotion the user is currently feeling (one might be able to fake this with Emotion Shifting). The user can even project thoughts in the same way; instead of just projecting thoughts, the user may only be able to project thoughts pertaining to certain emotions, etc.
• Erratic Telepathy is a disadvantageous variation of Telepathy in which the user cannot control his communication and reception of thoughts. The user of this ability may hear thoughts at all times, or constantly broadcast his thoughts to all around. Sometimes the user also constantly (and randomly) projects telepathic illusions, inundates people with telepathic information, etc.; his telepathic range may even fluctuate from short-range to worldwide, or the like.
• Omnipathy is a telepathic affinity for all species. One with this ability can communicate with (non-perspicuous) peoples’ minds, animal minds, insect minds or the like. This ability can be used to do the typical telepathic feats (reading thoughts, projecting thoughts, limited mind control, disrupting or augmenting mental capacity, inducing illusion, etc.); it’s simply possible for the user to affect all species. One with this superhuman psychic ability may even be able to use it on alien species (perhaps even plants, spirits and the undead; just not extradimensional entities or the like).
• The connection of the user’s mind to the minds of all other living things also allows the user to be very difficult to track telepathically (the user’s mind would seem a widespread psychic network when he linked his mind to the minds of others, and thus he couldn’t be easily pinpointed to any one particular location)
- Note: Omnipathy and Xenopsychism are NOT the same; Omnipathy allows one to perform telepathy (reading/projecting thoughts), except transcending species boundaries (one affects all minds); Xenopsychism allows one to psychically scan the collective unconsciousness of one’s planet (not the minds of the beings themselves), and the scan only picks up informational knowledge (and only from fellows of the user’s species)
• Postcognitive Telepathy is a version of Telepathy in which the user can receive thoughts after they are thought up by the subject. One with this ability uses the same energy that postcognitive psychics use, but instead of seeing the past, the user receives thoughts from nearly any subject. Not to mention, this ability can even affect perspicuous minds, because it can receive the thoughts after the perspicuous superhuman knows that the thought have occurred (thus the subject’s mind feels no need to keep past thoughts from being read).
• Precognitive Telepathy is a version of Telepathy in which the user can receive thoughts before they are thought up by the subject. One with this ability uses the same energy that precognitive psychics use, but instead of seeing the future, the user receives thoughts from nearly any subject. Not to mention, this ability can even affect perspicuous minds, because it can receive the thoughts before the perspicuous superhuman knows that the thought will occur (and the subject’s mind doesn’t keep future thoughts from being read).
• Range Telepathy is a version of Telepathy in which one can communicate with subjects by supernatural means, but with the limits of natural means. One with this ability may haveAuditory/Hearing-Range Telepathy, in which they can only communicate with those within hearing range, or Visual/Sight-Range Telepathy, in which the user can only communicate with those that he can see (or those in visual range), or even Tactile/Touch Telepathy, in which the user can only communicate with the minds of those he touches, and the like.
• Telepathic Broadcast is the ability to psychically project thought waves as vocalizations. One with this ability could touch a subject and both the user and the subject go into a trance. The subject becomes unconscious and the user of the ability vocalizes the thoughts of the subject through his mouth as though through a record player. If the power is uncontrolled, then in the presence of any nearby subject (whether or not they are touching), the user goes into a trance and plays the subjects’ thoughts.
•However, this ability may instead entail the psychic broadcast of one’s thoughts to the minds of others, so other’s thoughts will change to match one’s own (such as Telepathic Panic,Telepathic Confusion, Telepathic Sleep or the like)
- Telephone Telepathy
• Telephone Telepathy, also called Phonopathy or Telepathic Telephony allows one to get a psychic feeling of who is calling before they tell you. This ability may also allow the user to hear the thoughts of anyone that one is on the phone with, or project them over the phone lines; the power may even be attuned to telephone users, so that one can (controllably) hear the thoughts of anyone using the phone at that time.
• Twin Telepathy is the mental connection between twin siblings. One with this ability can psychically sense when their twin is in danger, what their twin is thinking, and can channel the words, ideas and mental abilities that their twin is thinking, along with all of the other faculties that go along with telepathic connection. The user, however, may also speak the thoughts of, and possibly even act with the same mannerisms as, their sibling.
• Visualization, also called Televisualization or Tele-Visualization is the ability to receive thoughts, like Normal Telepathy. However, instead of hearing them, the user sees them as the user imagines them. This ability can be used to better understand what a subject means by a particular thought, to better imagine or elaborate on a thought process (if used on oneself) or simply to spy on the thoughts of foes. If the telepathy works quickly and adeptly enough, one with this ability could perhaps even use it in a combat situation.
Vocalized Communication: To speak or have spoken thoughts from the communicators.
- Psionic Shield: The ability to erect a psychic shield.
- Psychic Shadow: The ability to mask visual presence, making their appearance similar to that of a shadow or disappeared altogether.
- Telepathic Shadow: The ability to mask psychic presence, making their minds appear normal, hidden, or scattered to another telepath.
- Internal Vocalization: Speaking as a part of another's mind.
- Operative Theft: The ability to quickly process, store, upload or download information, through another's mind.
- Dark Psyche: Communicate the dark side of a person's personality.
- Inhibit: Placing “psychic inhibitors” in the minds of adversaries to prevent them from using their abilities.
- Mental Stimulants: Making one feel pleased, happy, pained or other emotion.
- Psionic Blasts: The ability to project psionic force blast which can overload a victim's mind so as to cause the victim pain, unconsciousness, or death.
- Intuitive Multilingual: The ability to intuitively understand new languages.
- Mental Detection: The ability to sense another's presence.
- Mind Link: The ability to develop a permanent mental line with any person.
- Psionic Binding: The ability to use the psychic mind of another, combining the psychic energies to boost one's own powers or temporarily increase their psionic abilities.
- Omnipathic: Able to read the minds of every living being on the planet at one time, users of this tend to be insane from the mass voices talking to them at one time all the time.
- Lapras (Pokemon)
- Giant Lion-Turtle (Avatar: The Last Airbender)
- Kamal Re'x (Universe at War)
- Jayfeather (Warriors)
- Martian Manhunter/J'onn J'onzz (DC Comics)
- Miss Martian/M'gann M'orzz (DC Comics)
- All Martians (DC Comics)
- Spock (Star Trek)
- The Vulcans (Star Trek)
- Psylocke (Marvel Comics)
- Professor Charles Xavier (Marvel Comics)
- Cable (Marvel Comics)
- M.O.D.O.K. (Marvel Comics)
- Jean Grey/Phoenix (Marvel Comics)
- Emma Frost/White Queen (Marvel Comics)
- Madelyne Spaulding (Static Shock)
- Stephord Cukoos (Marvel Comics)
- Nate Gray/X-Man (Marvel Comics)
- Rachel Summers/Marvel Girl/Phoenix (Marvel Comics)
- Orthopox 13 and the Master and other Furons (Destroy All Humans)
- Sage (Marvel Comics)
- Blindfold (Marvel Comics)
- Edward Cullen (Twilight)
- Necromorph Hivemind (Dead Space), to order and communicate with its drones or drive victims to insanity and suicide
- Taranee Cook (W.I.T.C.H.)
- Halinor (W.I.T.C.H.)
- Toa Kongu Inika (Bionicle)
- Female Skrall (Bionicle)
- Ra`ad (Ben 10) by reading the brains eletric impulses
- Chamber (Marvel Comics)
- Ma-Ti (Captain Planet)
- Kelly Bailey (Misfits)
- Paradox Agents (Paradox Saga)
- Archangel Members (Paradox Saga)
- Level 5 or higher Shaman (Scorpius: The Golden Age)
- Angel (Maximum Ride)
- The Ood (Doctor Who)
- The Host (Doctor Who: Tooth and Claw)
- Maximillion Pegasus (Yu-Gi-Oh!)
- Sara (Race to Witch Mountain)
- Sookie Stackhouse (True Blood/The Sookie Stakehouse Novels)
- Barry The Bellboy (True Blood/The Sookie Stakehouse Novels)
- Hunter (True Blood/The Sookie Stakehouse Novels)
- Christy Jenkinens (Charmed)
- Matt Parkman (Heroes)
- Maury Parkman (Heroes)
- Peter Petrelli (Heroes)
- Arthur Petrelli (Heroes)
- Charles Deveaux (Heroes)
- Daphne Powell (No Ordinary Family)
- Telepaths (Mutant X)
- Ermac (Mortal Kombat)
- Dr. Tachyon (Wild Cards series)