- "The name is the thing, and the true name is the true thing. To speak the name is to control the thing."
- ― Ursula K. Le Guin, The Rule of Names
The user can manipulate true names - the metaphysical representations of sentient being - which grants them certain amount of power over the target being able to find, control, summon and banish them among others.
- Command Inducement
- Defense Break
- Freedom - knowing your own true name can make you resistant to the influence of others.
- Identity Manipulation - by changing the targets true name.
- Name Evocation/Banishment
- Name Identification
- Name Severing
- Nonexistence - by erasing targets name from reality.
- Power Negation - by causing targets to lose their name.
- Shapeshifting Negation - speaking a shapeshifted being's true name may restore them to their true form.
- Beings with Nonexistent Physiology have no true names.
- Beings with Identity Dominance can turn this power against the user.
- Beings suffering from Identity Erasure may be immune.
- Users of Nameless Existence are immune.
See Also: I Know Your True Name.
- Ged (Earthsea)
- Ichibē Hyōsube (Bleach)
- Truenamer (Planescape)
- Asmodeus (Planescape)
- SCP-992 - Gaia's Emissary (SCP Foundation)
- Powerful magicians (Inheritance Cycle)
- Isis (The Kane Chronicles)
- Mr Bliss (Skulduggery Pleasant); when he manipulates Laudigan.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.